Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Can Pheasants Predict Snowfall?

Bill Hartzell

We're driving down the road 55 mph and I notice this pheasant 25 feet high in a tree. Turned around so we could get a pic. He was definitely higher than the telephone wires. We were able to snap 3 pics before he flew. Told my 82-yr old father-in-law the story and his reply was "That's not good....my dad used to say if you see a pheasant roosting higher than the fence line, that is how much snow we're supposed to get." WHAAAAATTTT??
picture.php

Never heard that one before. Hope we don't get that much snow....... A couple of days ago I was driving and saw something up in a tree probably 15'-20' it looked like a crow or something from a ways off, once I got close enough, it was a cat! Bonker where are ya? Can cats predict the same just like pheasants????? ;)

Probably more like protection from predators. Many parts of SE Iowa, still NO-Snow, like around Ott and Eddyville. Mild winter,,easy on the wildlife down there.

Probably more like protection from predators. Many parts of SE Iowa, still NO-Snow, like around Ott and Eddyville. Mild winter,,easy on the wildlife down there.

Definitely hope your Grandpa is wrong this time.

Loneranger come on up to NE Iowa you can enjoy in the snow and cold

with me since it is so balmy down there. 10 inches of snow and below zero

tonight.

I enjoy old sayings predicting weather based upon our observations of wildlife; Wooly caterpillar stripes, how bushy a squirrel’s tail is, how soon you see robins in spring, ant activity and who can deny the ground hog’s shadow? But as far as I know the only weather phenomena the feral cats around here can predict is if they stick their heads in my traps they will be COLD. And sorta stiff.

IMG_0142-1.jpg

And I wonder why my wife refuses to use this freezer.

I also reside near DesMoines, so I am enjoying 13 inches up here. Bare ground though as I said in many areas of SE IA. Weather pattern following last winter quite close, although a little colder. Still long stretches of no precip. Which everyone enjoys in winter,,but Spring and growing season is coming!

Top Bottom