Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Canadian whitetail hunt

Anyone ever went? I always wanted to go to Saskatchewan might have a chance in the next year or two. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

I always wanted to almost made it one year, i did research on it.
One thing to really really want to watch for, Canada can get some harsh winter kill in areas on the deer herd.
If that happens you probably should take that into consideration.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Hunted Saskatchewan twice. Once the 2nd week of November and once the week of Thanksgiving. Never saw any of the monsters I was hoping for but plenty of deer. One sit was Thanksgiving day in a new area the outfitter picked up deep in the bush, 5 miles in where no man hunted before and I was the 1st to hunt it. I saw 21 buck that day even with snow all day long. Sat from dawn to dark and had to clean the snow off my self many times and it was brutally cold! I had a huge buck come in behind me right before dark but unlike the other deer he came in a different direction and winded me. I had to follow a faint path out to where I was dropped off to be picked up but was experiencing hypothermia and got confused. I just stood there until the outfitter came in looking for me, my lips were blue by then but recovered quickly.

Not sure what the quality of deer are there anymore since the big boom in hunters after the Hansen buck? Do your homework and be prepared for cold weather and long sits. I was a little disappointed after the 2nd trip with no luck, that's when I got a lease in Illinois and seen a lot more and bigger deer. Can't beat the Midwest hands down. It is a great adventure I will never forget though.

I went 3 times. Got a good buck everytime. One was a 194".... IMO the later weeks are better. Thanksgiving week is good (3rd week in Nov) and the last week is good too. It seemed that the colder it got, the better it got. The 1st 2 weeks in Nov weren't the coldest, so it wasn't the best. You don't have to worry about pressure, Sask is so remote. They all hunt over bait, but thats not a bad thing. The bait brings the does and the bucks scent check for does. I loved it there, it was awesome.

Hunted Saskatchewan twice. Once the 2nd week of November and once the week of Thanksgiving. Never saw any of the monsters I was hoping for but plenty of deer. One sit was Thanksgiving day in a new area the outfitter picked up deep in the bush, 5 miles in where no man hunted before and I was the 1st to hunt it. I saw 21 buck that day even with snow all day long. Sat from dawn to dark and had to clean the snow off my self many times and it was brutally cold! I had a huge buck come in behind me right before dark but unlike the other deer he came in a different direction and winded me. I had to follow a faint path out to where I was dropped off to be picked up but was experiencing hypothermia and got confused. I just stood there until the outfitter came in looking for me, my lips were blue by then but recovered quickly.

Not sure what the quality of deer are there anymore since the big boom in hunters after the Hansen buck? Do your homework and be prepared for cold weather and long sits. I was a little disappointed after the 2nd trip with no luck, that's when I got a lease in Illinois and seen a lot more and bigger deer. Can't beat the Midwest hands down. It is a great adventure I will never forget though.

Thats kind of scary ! Glad you didn’t get disoriented and go the wrong way.

I went 3 times. Got a good buck everytime. One was a 194".... IMO the later weeks are better. Thanksgiving week is good (3rd week in Nov) and the last week is good too. It seemed that the colder it got, the better it got. The 1st 2 weeks in Nov weren't the coldest, so it wasn't the best. You don't have to worry about pressure, Sask is so remote. They all hunt over bait, but thats not a bad thing. The bait brings the does and the bucks scent check for does. I loved it there, it was awesome.
Any Outfitters you recommend?

Interested to see how this works out for u. More guys have to have outfitter reco’s. Patient a bit.
think folks from US are “woods only” - like further north??? I’ve heard mixed things but it’s such a huge place that u cannot blanket the whole place due to xyz good or bad. Maybe only thing I’d also consider is how mild or hard their winters have been. If u get good outfitter who is not shooting lots of 3-4 year olds.... lots ground & does things smart- be great I bet. Just like hunters or guides anywhere- u got very smart hunters & u got guys who think they are smart but r a walking hunter disaster. Hope u get a few recos to sort through.

I went to Keeley Lake outfitters. I know the lodge is there still, but I think the guys that ran the outfitting buisness when I went, are not there anymore. There may be hunting there, but it would be under new management if they were. The area is great. Way north of Meadow Lake. Another outfitter that was good (friends go there all the time) is Candle Lake outfitters. Both of these operate in the northern fringe of the whitetails range. Sligh 1 is right about the bad winters. Once in a while the winters are so bad, deer are lost. You would want to ask about when the last really bad winter was. These outfitters operate on "crown land" . The areas are huge. Nothing like the midwest where outfitter hunting acreage is limited. You could drive 20 miles and never leave Keeleys hunting area. The hunting is in the "bush" areas of trees, and nothing up there other than loggers. No farm country. Huge , snowy, cold and silent. Big , giant , thick chocolate racks. A great whitetail hunting experience and nothing else like it in the states. Only catch is you have to use an outfitter, no DIY hunting for non residents.

I went to Saskatchewan in 2019. I hunted with Overflow River Outfitters in Hudson Bay. Great people and a ton of ground hunt. They have thousands of acres of private ground and they hunt some crown land. It was a fun experience and a great hunt.

Ron Lavoie
Otter Creek outfitters
Spritwood SK

He typically has a wait list as he gives his current clients the chance to rebook
Great guy

Top Bottom