Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Can't Decide If I'm Mad Or Happy

SWBUCKHNTR

Well I was checking a camera this weekend and I found an arrow right near the camera. It had some blood on the tip but the broad head or feild tip or whatever was used was not on it. I was pretty upset thinking that somebody was hunting my farm without permission. Well there wasnt much I could do I guess so I pulled the card and started looking at pictures. If you look close at the deers hind quarters you can see the shaft of the arrow. I am still upset thinking that somebody might have been on my farm but if they are shooting deer like this then I dont think I mind he needs another arrow in him but in a better spot.
5677-trail_cam_019.jpg

I know this stuff happens, but how? This buck should have never been shot at. He needs another 2 to 4 years. Yes you can argue the genetics however I call it character.

Let em go, let em grow!

I feel bad for that little buck. Before we pile on, let's take a breath and consider a scenario like this:

Perhaps that deer has been running during the rut and is not native to your farm. Perhaps a young hunter had a chance to take his/her first buck and couldn't close the deal. Perhaps a 12 year old kid is heart broken because of a bad hit and second guessing bowhunting...the last thing they would need is a tongue lashing for taking a shot at a young deer.

There are a ton of possible stories behind this deer. I'd say I could hope for three things:

1) That deer can be taken with a clean shot before it dies a painful death
2) Whomever took the first shot can learn from a mistake and do better next time
3) Nobody is trespassing on your farm

Looks like a hard quartering away shot that went left a bit.. Might have happened from jumping the string etc.. Could have happened miles away from your farm.
Although we are typically trophy hunters here (Or "Mature deer" hunters), the majority of hunters are not. They are looking at legal deer or possibly "Any" buck. Could have been his first deer, etc etc.
If it's legal, it's OK, although I would not have shot him either, and agree with "Letting them grow"

Well said bukket.

Not everyone is hunting a wallhanger. Unless your farm is 10 square miles he could easily have been sot elsewhere.

Irregardless of any size debate, somebody took a horrible shot. I'm far from perfect but wow, that's way off even taking string jump, etc, into account. JMHO.

I'd say that buck would survive the shot unless it hit the gut which looks unlikely.

How big of a farm do you own?

How big of a farm do you own?

Its 200 acres. I was thinking when I found the arrow that it had dropped out of somebodys quiver when they were walking or something like that. That is why I was thinking somebody was tresspassing but when I found the picture on camera and it is before 7 in the morning then I pretty much figured somebody shot it the night before or even morning before and the arrow had just finally fell out. I do have a lot of pictures of that deer on my farm but he liked to hang out on the fenceline that has 40 acres bordering it to the east so he could have very likely been shot at in that 40.

Can you imagine running around looking for some love with an arrow in your arse?

They're tougher than I am.

I had a little buck with a half rack come by me in late October on some public ground I was hunting. A week later that same buck came through while I was sitting on the opposite side of a major river (above flood stage) a mile and a half away.

I feel bad for that little buck. Before we pile on, let's take a breath and consider a scenario like this:

Perhaps that deer has been running during the rut and is not native to your farm. Perhaps a young hunter had a chance to take his/her first buck and couldn't close the deal. Perhaps a 12 year old kid is heart broken because of a bad hit and second guessing bowhunting...the last thing they would need is a tongue lashing for taking a shot at a young deer.

There are a ton of possible stories behind this deer. I'd say I could hope for three things:

1) That deer can be taken with a clean shot before it dies a painful death
2) Whomever took the first shot can learn from a mistake and do better next time
3) Nobody is trespassing on your farm

Well put
:way:

That is a future giant non typ in the making, if he makes it. I love how everyone can judge genetics in a 1 1/2 year old growing his first rack. Probably got shot on some other ground. Hope he makes it thru the year. Im with kaare on this one it would really suck chasing some tail with an arrow in your arse.

This does suck. But like others said, alot of things happen in the heat of the moment. A branch which wasn't sighted upon the release on a quartering away animal, a flinch from a very excited young hunter just wanting to see where the arrow hit before the follow thru. Or just a terrible shot from someone else. haha. But this stuff happens as much as i wish it didn't. I feel for the animal. hopefully someone can take him before the infection starts.....if it does.

Top Bottom