Cant find big buck? Help

Mandity

My buddy shot a big buck this morning. He did not make the best shot in the world but as I review the shot on camera it looks to me that he hit it right above the front leg but high. If I had to guess the arrow only went in about 5 to 6 inches. We followed a blood trail for about 250 yards before it stopped. We also didnt have the best blood trail either to follow. but ther was blood. I was wondering how often will deer go and lay in a creek when they are wounded. Can anyone tell me if there is a chance of finding him. also the shot was atleast 2/3 the way up the deer body.

what specific color is the blood? bright red? pink? dark red? is it watery?

there's always a chance on finding the deer but to me it sounds like a muscle hit. at the least i'd give him till 4 or 5 this afternoon and probably be better if you waited until tomorrow morning. good luck.

The blood was bright red but also at time looked maybe watery but there was also alittle dew this morning.

Did you find his arrow or a broken off piece of it? I'd wait until tomorrow morning and go look again for him. You probably pushed him more by starting the search today. Like Muddy said, might be a muscle hit, it may have clipped his heart but you said it was high above the leg so I doubt it. Either way, I'd give it some time and go after him tomorrow morning or tomorrow afternoon.

I made a similar hit on my largest buck to date. Shot him at noon and left him alone until 9;00 pm that night. Went back with lights and put in 4 hrs tracking a spotty blood trail. I put in 14 more hours and never found him.......until I took the wife along. We did a grid search and she found him about 1/4 mile from the shot. Don't give up, but first give him some time. Check the thickest stuff along the creek first, then spread out and cover some ground. Your lowest lows can become great highs is you put in the effort. Good luck.

I don't have a lot of advice but I can relate. My brother did the same thing several years ago. 40 yard shot into the shoulder blade with about 5" of penetration. He did not recover the buck until...
First season shotgun, a group of hunters shot what they thought was a huge doe. The buck had recently shed his antlers, within 3 weeks of being wounded! He would have succombed to infection soon.
The sheds were found the same day within 100 yards of were the buck was killed. I wish I could tell you what the arrow had hit inside, maybe just one lung or something.
My advice is to keep looking. If you don't find him, you may bump him. I wouldn't think he would be too far away.

Back