Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Can't Sleep

This might sound crazy, but last night I couldn't sleep due to the fact that I am awaiting the season opener. I've been watching a 170" ten point since late June. I know where he is bedding, entering, feeding, and exiting every night. Problem is I don't have my stand up yet, due in part that it's a new spot, and am a little concerned about getting too close to his bedding area. Should I set it up now and back off or should I wait for the opener and set it up that afternoon, wind conditions permitting? I will probably wait for a rain to slip in there. I wish there were such a thing as a SURE THING.

Ogz, what's up?

wouldnt go in no way no how till opener-no way he smells your jiff and he is gone. have a bow in hand and go portable in the afternoon only-don't get to close.stagging area only-rainy day would help.

cd

I was in the exact same boat about 6 yrs ago. It was a new piece of ground and I wasn't familiar with the deer movement. And from long range survelance I figured out my bucks patterns before the season. So when the season opened I thought I'd just set up a ground blind just to observe his movements a little closer. Low and behold I popped him the first night at 18yds!
Pupster

I hung my stands a month ago, then I stay out of the area till season opens.That way opening day I dont create quite as much of a disturbance, just slip into my stand and maybe have to clip a few branches that have grown up since then.This close to season I think Id just wait, going in now and back in in two weeks might be a little much for him to deal with.

At this point, I'd probably leave the area alone. At this point you don't want him to go nocturnal on you. Portable on the day you plan on hunting is probably the way to go. Don't hunt him until the winds are perfect and not one day before. Also, hunt him on a windy day. On a quiet day, he might hear you sneaking in.

Look around the area for funnels that he might use during the rut and set up a stand or two there now. If you don't get him early, you'll be prepared later.

Where is the deer feeding; alfalfa, soybeans, somthing else. I don't know your hunting area, but if there is a crop feild in the immediate area I would coordinate my stand set up with the harvesting of that field. Deer around agriculture are used to and probably even expect some human presence at certain times/intervals. The area will be full of human scent and activity at this time and the area will only have to be disturbed once. The harvest is inevitable so that is when I would set up. You wouldn't have to rush as much or be quite as careful. If that is not an option I would set up on opening day and be ready.

John Deere,
That's what I thought too that they're to obvious. I failed to mention that I was in a heavily pastured area, hardly any cover at all (thus the ground blind, no trees to hang a stand). I set up 100yds. approx away from where I'd been seeing him just to see if I could pick a spot to hang one. When he came out he just kepy coming. There was no question curiosity killed that cat. I would have hung the stands months in advance except I had no idea where to hang one.
This is what makes it exciting trying to outwit that critter.
Good Luck! Keep us posted.
Pupster

Fellow hunters, thanks for the input. I am really going to have to study my options. The buck is using a overgrown creek bank as his bedding area. He is also in a bachelor group of 4 or 5 bucks, a couple are dandys as well. On the south side of him is a late maturing corn field, the field he is entering is a soybean field, which will probably be harvested in 3 weeks. There are a few scattered trees in proximity to where they are entering. Every time I have seen him, he crosses the beans around 7:30 to a small finger of trees, where he stops and works a scrape, I have this documented on video about 3 weeks ago. This small finger may be a gooding starting point. Its about 300 yards from where they are entering. He'll work the scrape for 10-15 minutes then as it turns dark, makes his way to an alfalfa field, where I asssume he feeds all night.
Another option is a ground blind. I have access to a double bull blind, I think they are too obvious. Thanks again.

I was thinking get your stand up ASAP, get in,get out and wait for a good wind in your favor, but with other bucks running with him...too many eyes and noses...wait until the day you want to hunt him...I like the blind idea, but make yourself very familiar with set-up...Good luck.

Had almost the same deal here. I waited till right before a rain went in as quiet as possible hung that stand about 2 weeks ago. That night no deer in the field but 3 or 4 nights later they are back. the only thing that looks better than that big buck standing there is seeing him 15 yards from my treestand. My problem is its a bean field and now the leaves are dropping. Hung another stand in a different funnel yesterday and the forecasted rain came last night... I really think it helps wash the scent away.... Im with ya on the scrape thing have found several in the past couple of weeks. put the camera on the biggest one and its all does.. not walking by but pawing and nibbling the branch.. anyway if ya get an 80 percent chance of rain I would hang that stand.. the sooner the better.

Top Bottom