Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Carbon suits..Do they work???

lefler168

I decided that i would do my research final on carbon suits and whether or not they are affective...if any of you guys have ANY information that you would like to share on this topic..or even some ideas that i could throw into this paper i would be extremly grateful...this research paper is not easy to write and i know that the most informed and intelligent hunters are associated with this site so PLEASE..any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks!!
confused.gif

I'm not sure if they do or not, but i'm also writing a research paper, and they really suck to write...have fun!

Does your research paper have to have documented facts from a website/ or a credible individual?

It would probably be best if i could get some ideas on where to look for credible information..but personally opinions and theories, maybe even some good questions about carbon suits would help me in my research tremendously....this already sucks but at least we got to pick the topic or i would really be procrastonating!! good luck with your paper as well
grin.gif

Ever notice the chemical odor carbon garments have? Add a little body heat and perspiration, the odor gets even stronger. IMO, snake oil and I learned the hard way.

While doing your research, let us know what you find out about the odor. Exactly what it is. I know a few guys on this site share my sentiment. I've been told "unofficially" that it's the glue they use to bind the carbon. I've also heard the theory that the carbon product itself gives off this odor. Even heard that the odor is not found to be offensive to game so that's acceptable?????? Doubt it.

Anyhow, good luck with your paper. Let us know how it goes.

I'm with RBB they are a hoax and they put one over on nearly every hunter that has stepped in the woods within the past 10 years.

Let me say first that this is IMO!

Carbon or any other material for that matter does not have a delayed absorbton period. When that suit is removed from the dryer I am confident that within the first five to ten minutes that carbon has absorbed it's full capacity of odor. I believe that their are a few Chemists on here that work in a laboratory that can expond upon this further. The lab instrumentation used in a GC/MS lab is based on the exact same principle. I believe how it is done is that the unknow sample is heated to a certain temp. depending on what the sample is being analyzed for. The exhaust of the sample is forced into a column filled with carbon which absorbs the exhaust. The carbon is then analyzed for volatiles. This all occurs from my understanding in a very short period of time.

I guess it is also similar to the charcoal tubes that field workers wear if the area that they are working is suspecious of contaminents. The people cleaning up a ground zero sent our laboratory thousands of these tubes weekly. They wear a tube connected to the collar of their shirt or somewhere near there mouth to show what the are inhaling all day. the tubes range from 15 min.- 8 hours worth of absorption. It takes a large qantity of carbon to absorb for 8 hours.
I just don't believe that a suit as thin as they are making can contain enough carbon to absorb odor for any length of time. The odor of the suit is a whole other story
confused.gif
It maybe helpful for you guys to go an interview a chemist at your local lab or look up info. on the net about instrumentation using carbon absorbtion.

Anything will work if you Truly Believe that it does
grin.gif
Goodluck with the paper, it will be a tough one.
beerchug.gif

wasn't fred talking to a chemist at ISU about that?

also, in one of our earlier discussions on the suits, wasn't there a link to a web site, where a guy had done some testing, and worked with a chemist?

I think the GS/MS Nonres is referring to is a test conducted, using carbon to trap chem compositions, in most labs, law enforcements labs, etc. called Gas chromotography/Mass Spectometry. An inquiry with a chemist will provide insight. If you cannot talk with a chemist PM me and I will hook you up with a law enforcement chemist that will explain the process.

NONRES I would like to hear more from you on this topic....you seem fairly knowledgable on the subject and you also said that you worked for a certain company that works in a similar way??..if you could give me some information on what you do and if its ok with you i would like to use you as a possible credible source for some information...get back at me....Also thanks everyone for your input...I will do my best to research this topic and when the paper is all done here in the next month or so i will post it with my findings and hopefully it can help answer this question!...keep the replies coming!!!

Leftler168, the instrumentation that Nonres is talking about is used in the environmental field for VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) analysis. There are a couple different techniques used, one is called Purge and Trap and the other is done using a Headspace unit. Both methods use a carbon packed trap (basically stainless steal tube packed with carbon). Both techniques take your sample and with heat drive off the VOC compounds. The compounds are collected on a trap at about 40 degrees C (remember room temp. is about 25 C). The trap is then heated up (180-250 degrees C) to drive the compounds off the trap on to a detector. The heat basically breaks the bond between the carbon and the organic compound. The same way a dry would reactivate your carbon suit.

I don't know if the carbon in the traps we use in the lab is the same as what is used in the scent control clothing industry or not. I don't want to bash the carbon suit makers but from what I know about carbon traps and the temperatures at which they work. I would never buy one of their suits. Like Nonres said, I find it hard to believe that the carbon isn't saturated with water molecules within minutes of being taken out of the dryer.

I've talked to a couple of our inorganic chemists here at work about the X-scent products (silver instead of carbon). They said in theory it should work and that silver can be very toxic.

If you want more information about the carbon traps we use in the lab send me an email or pm me.

Tim

HEY GUYS..THANKS FOR WHAT YOU HAVE GIVEN ME SO FAR..MY RESEARCH IS REALLY GETTING INTERESTING...ONE THING THAT I FOUND CONTRADICTING IS THAT IN ORDER TO OPEN UP CARBON PORES TO RELEASE A HUMAN ODOR MOLECULE, THE CARBON NEEDS TO BE HEATED TO 180 DEGREES C MINIMUM..SCENTBLOCKER/ ROBINSON OUTDOORS INC. SAY THAT YOU SHOULD ONLY DRY YOUR LINER FOR 30 MIN ON LOW HEAT, NO HIGH HEAT...THIS IS REALLY ODD TO ME,DEFINITLY A RED FLAG..............ALSO CAN ANYONE GET ME CONNECTED WITH A DEER BIOLOGIST OR SOMEONE THAT WOULD BE CREDIBLE ON WHAT ODORS ARE OFFENSIVE TO DEER...SCENTBLOCKER CLAIMS THAT THE CARBON ODOR IS NATURAL AND NOT ALARMING TO ANIMALS...HOWEVER I HAVE NEVER SMELLED THIS ODOR IN A DEER'S ENVIORONMENT..SO LOGICALLY IT CAN'T BE NATURAL TO A DEER TO SMELL THIS, BUT MY OPINION IS NOT CREDIBLE BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE A "DR." IN FRONT OF MY NAME OR A DEGREE...SO IF ANYONE KNOWS OF A CREDIBLE SOURCE THAT I COULD USE TO BACK UP THIS THEORY THAT WOULD BE A HUGE HELP!! THANKS...KEEP IT COMING..THIS PAPER COULD TURN A LOT OF HEADS
grin.gif

Top Bottom