Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

cedar/apple trees ?

"Cedar-Apple Rust" can be a problem if you are looking to market apples. Mostly it blemishes them so they don't look pretty. Doesn't seem to hurt the trees much and deer don't care though if that's your goal. There are some varieties of apples that are advertised as more resistant to the problem.

There are disease resistant trees to this. I have apple trees around my house right next to Cedar Trees. Some are not resistant. After blossom pedal drop I spray the trees with Immunox. This is a fungicide that will protect the trees and apples from the rust. The rust can sometimes really hurt apple tree leaves with big yellow/brown blotches that damage the new growth. Only local store I have found the Immunox in is Lowes. Or you can get it online. I might not be spelling it exactly right but is close. The stuff really works on a lot of disease. I had Black Rot on my grapes. It stopped that too.

Yep to above. Start with "disease resistant" or apples that tolerate the fungus better than others (there's ratings to each tree). If it's too late for that, keep up with the spraying.

Thanks for the replies. I planted 20 apple trees last fall and was planning on putting red cedars in as a screen. I guess I'm debating on what I should do now as the cedars would be a great screen for me.

I got most from Wolfrath's in Wisconsin..

Red and golden delicious
Honey Crisp
Wine crisp
Zestar
Haralson
Liberty
Gayla
Fuji
Mc Intosh
Rut tree
Crabs dolgo
Hunters Jewell
Rosey cheek
Nutty crab

Last edited:
Gala and Liberty are resistant. The others, not so much. I planted apple and pear trees out in the fields for the deer. Thought I would not fuss with them as much. Ended up fussing about as much as my trees around the house. They need pruning, and I spray them.

My liberty apples and Hewes crabs have been good producers the past couple years and they have thick cedars on two sides, only 10 yards away. They have been in the ground going on 6 years starting as bare root whips.

They produced 4 years after I planted, are still producing each year but I only planted them in '09. They have produced more each year. I would say 3-4 dozen the first year per tree on the libertys and 5-6 doz on the hewes. They each added a couple dozen the next year and am looking forward to what they put on this year.

Just pray it stays cold until mid-April. No more of this 80'-stuff or they will flower and it will get down to 20'. No fruit. This has happened to me 3 times out of the last 10 yrs coming to Iowa.

Top Bottom