Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cedar shingle oak hillside

As others have said, start cutting. The benefit of south facing slopes, if I am not mistaken, is that they receive direct sunlight and are therefore warmer in winter (when warmth is beneficial). I would only leave scattered cedars that are positioned to block wind with low hanging branches.

Im considering cutting off flush with ground and dragging into a field im trying to get cover in and let the " skeletons" stay there for bird nesting and rabbits ect. To turn into living brush piles in a few years? Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Im considering cutting off flush with ground and dragging into a field im trying to get cover in and let the " skeletons" stay there for bird nesting and rabbits ect. To turn into living brush piles in a few years? Thoughts?

A few of them? Sure, I have done that for rabbits, etc. Big brush piles though? Skunks, possums, bobcats, coons, ground hogs, etc, sure seem to love that more than the few rabbits that are living in them. Personally, I would go "light" on brush piles, but some are good in my mind.

The guy that help me make a food plot in the middle of timber said do not do that. If you create a place for rabbits then yotes will work that area.

A few of them? Sure, I have done that for rabbits, etc. Big brush piles though? Skunks, possums, bobcats, coons, ground hogs, etc, sure seem to love that more than the few rabbits that are living in them. Personally, I would go "light" on brush piles, but some are good in my mind.
I was thinking individual trees scattered all over the field . Not big piles of trees . I figure deer might use as "structure" to bed up against.

Started removing today! Not the worst ive done but u do get full of needles! Hood up on iowa whitetail sweatshirt helps!!!!
2ed03686614caba27516b2992d3fb058.jpg

I would leave the furthest outside ones standing as they are the likeliest to have cover. I'm sure the interior cedars with no sunlight have cast all their lower needles.

Last edited:
  • Deleted by TheBig8
Show…
Top Bottom