Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

cedar trees--wanted

I have just learned that my source for my annual cedar tree plantings are sold out-schumacher and cascade. Does anyone know of a source of quality seedlings preferably in a larger size but,not potted. After a winter like this it seems alot of folks have figured out the value of these "junk to some" trees. I would appreciate any suggestions? I hope not to have to fall back on the state nursery as i have had very poor survival with their trees regardless of my efforts in watering and weed control. In checking with coldstrem farms out of michigan they appear to have larger stock with quantity discounts. If anyone else may be interested in going in on an order to bring the pricing down let me know? I will also be trying to go through my NRCS as that is something of a fundraiser for them and in the past the prices have been reasonable. Thanks in advance

How far are you willing to drive? I know a couple CRP fields that, with the proper permission, you could dig up all you wanted! Little guys, all about 12-18 inches tall.

I could use some too. Are you sure Mi is talking about red cedar. White cedar are more common up there. A whole different tree.

I appreciate the offer but, due to time constraints its about all i can do to auger holes and get these large seedlings in the ground.

Actually, the state trees are cheaper for the larger seedlings. I bought 500 couple yrs back and almost each one survived. Had great luck with them, but then a wet spring helps.

FYI- I plant tons and tons of cedars and they are the very sensitive to chemical weed control and you'll kill many. I might try a small section without the chemicals and see if you get a better survival rate. I think you can order those trees from NWTF, see if it's in their tree list.
Skip
http://www.thedeerhunt.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plotman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have just learned that my source for my annual cedar tree plantings are sold out-schumacher and cascade. Does anyone know of a source of quality seedlings preferably in a larger size but,not potted. After a winter like this it seems alot of folks have figured out the value of these "junk to some" trees. I would appreciate any suggestions? I hope not to have to fall back on the state nursery as i have had very poor survival with their trees regardless of my efforts in watering and weed control. In checking with coldstrem farms out of michigan they appear to have larger stock with quantity discounts. If anyone else may be interested in going in on an order to bring the pricing down let me know? I will also be trying to go through my NRCS as that is something of a fundraiser for them and in the past the prices have been reasonable. Thanks in advance </div></div>
The last 2 years that i have gotten cedars from cascade they have gave me my money back becasue they had 2 years of horrible trees. I planted about 8,000 of them 2 years ago with maybe 200 surviving and another 6,000 this year with about 300 making it. Cascade handle it very well and admitted they had a bad batch but it is hard to say. Every year that I have gone with the state nursery I have had a lot of luck. Everybody has there opinion but I would say plant them and mow for 3 years at 3 times a year and you will boost your survival rate extremly.

Of everywhere i checked i could only find 100 trees available from coldstrem farm. I called the state nursery and found that the reason for my lack of seedling survival was due to bad rootstock that came from missouri. To my surprise they are willing to replace all the trees that didnt survive!! I must say that is pretty impressive customer service!! If anyone else needs any red cedars i was told they have a large supply of their own cedar rootstock available in both sizes.

Top Bottom