Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Central Iowa Hunter Killed

I just joined this sight because I heard there was things being said about Scott.He was one of my best friends and I've known him since we were in grade school in DSM.He graduated from Hoover High school in 1984 and was 41 years old.He is currently survived by his wife,two sons,both parents,and a older brother.He currently worked for Logan Contractor Supply in DSM.I had the pleasure of having Scott and his son Chase at my farm hunting in Decatur county on several occasions.He was one of those guys who always had a smile on his face and joke to tell.He will be greatly missed by all of us that had the pleasure of knowning him.
There will be a visitation at the Kale Funeral Home in Osceola on Wednesday at 5:00-8:00P.M., and the funeral is Thursday at 10:00A.M. at the same place.
There has been alot of rumors about what happened and I wan't to set things straight.
Scott first off was using a climer in a tree that he shouldn't have been climbing.It was on a steep creek bank and in a tree that tilted out over the creek.We do not know exactly how it happened but we think that he didn't get one of the D ring clips fastened that attaches the cable to the platform frame.After he got up to his spot he got his bow on its holder and we think he was in the process of putting on a Double loop(Widow Maker)safety harnes when the platform gave way he swung around to the downhill side of the tree and couldnt get ahold of the tree.He had one arm in and one arm out of the harness.They say his clothes bunched up and he suffacated.His elder neighbor heard some yelling and went to see what was going on and saw Scott dangling and ran to call 911 and get a ladder.He only had a 14'ladder and held it up just enough to touch his feet and by then he was gone.He died doing something he loved.
I am not one to speak on anything but if you or anyone you know or care about wears a Widow Maker throw it away.After 25 years of wear nothing else my family made me break down and spend the money and buy a Hunter Sfety System vest. If Scott would have been wearing one my friend would be alive and I wouldn't have to be writeing this.Please do not take chances if we loose one of our hunting comrades a year it's one to many.Scott I love you man and I will think of you every time I'm in the woods.Everyone please be safe.

Sounds like a great buddy. Thanks for coming in and expressing your heartfelt story.

Thanks for posting Rackattack62, your heartfelt feelings come through in your post. I did not know the man, but he obviously was well known and loved by others, including a gentleman that I work with that had identical feelings as you did.

Guys, this could have been any of us. Be safe, be extra safe, if not for yourself if you are one of those "hard heads" that think nothing could ever happen to you, then do it for the benefit of your family and friends. I wish the best to the family and friends of this man in this terrible time.

This is a truly a tragic thing and a lesson to all of us who enjoy the outdoors and have families. This time of year we all get excited and focus on the hunt ahead of us and sometimes take risks or cut corners on things that we wouldn't normally do. My heart and prayers go out to the family and friends. Please everyone be safe this year so you can join us afield next year.

Thanks for posting rackattack62. I fell earlier this year and this hits so close to home. I use a climbing stand quite a bit and you really need to becareful using them cuz they are dangerous. Everyone should invest in a quality safety system. A hundred bucks for a good one isn't too much to ask when you are talking about someones life. What a tragic accident.

I'm 42 years old, and have four children, and a wonderful wife. This is my 25th anniversary bowhunting, and I have never been safe. I am not proud of this, just thankful to the good Lord for His protection over my dumbness, but this story has inspired me to invest in my family, and in my future. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you who knew Scott. God bless...

Thanks for posting rackattack. My thoughts and prayers go out to you, his family and friends. I too minimized my dumbness this year and invested in the hunter safety system. I feel much safer than before. I agree IATREEHUGGER, I too am not proud of the fact that I did nothing in my first years of tree climbing in search of deer to be safe but too many sad stories like this made me stop and think a little about my wife, two daughters and my young son so I went out and dropped the hundred bucks. It's well worth it to me. Stay safe everyone-IAROB

I just joined this site today. Scott was a long time friend of mine. I went to school with him for many years. He was a gear-head in his younger days as well as a trapper and we really hit it off. He was a good guy who knew how to live life to its fullest. He will be deeply missed.

I haven't seen Scott for a couple years. Our last meeting was at a WTF banquet a couple years ago down at the old Bortel's ranch. He was the same old Scott that I'd known for many years! We spent time catching up and sharing hunting stories.

My heart goes out to his wife and kids...

Chris,

Jake told me of your loss. I am so sorry for such a tragic accident involving one of your close friends and a fellow bowhunter. I will say some prayers for you and Jeananne over the next few days as I pass the time in the tree.

And, yes, my full chest harness is and will always be on during every sit. My family needs their dad and husband more than I need that next trophy. Take care and God bless to you and the family.

This is really something i hate to hear, I am setting in iraq right now, i just became a member today and loged on this site for the first time just to look at the wonderful pictures of deer you have and harvest in Iowa, longing to go hunting , not just to take a wonderful buck, but to set in the wood and talk to the lord and thank him for his wonderful creations and the beautiful things i can see just from setting in a tree when the sun starts coming up. I am not from the state of iowa i am from georgia. my heart and my prayers go out to Scott a brother hunter and his wonderful family at this time of need god bless you all barry t fowler

To Fellow bowhunters....friends

I am a very close friend of Scott's...he has bowhunted with me on many occasions at my farm near New Virginia. I took him on his first bear hunt several years ago in Canada...and he helped guide/entertain some of my clients that I take hunting. I put Scotty onto the property that he owns near Winterset...he is/was a very good friend and someone I will really miss. He always had time to shoot the breeze with you. I first meet Scott back when he was a service manager with Quality Ford....at the time he didn't bowhunt ...or hunt deer at all. I had brought my truck in for service ...and told him the sound it was making sounded like a deer bellowing under the hood...he laughed about it with me and took care of the problem....we became friends quickly. He used to live in an area of Des Moines that was loaded with big bucks...and had me come over one night to go on a ride on his motorcycle...we drove through the woods ( early fall ) and I must have seen more giants then anywhere I have seen before. Anyway....he became addicted to my addiction...chasing big bucks and bowhunting...and for several years he actually had better luck harvesting big deer. His favorite quote: Oh boy....any time you talked to him and he could see you were excited about something....or he was ....he said...OH BOY !!! I can hear him now as I am writing this. He had a golden horseshoe when it came to bowhunting deer...the first time he bowhunted the farm I put him on near Winterset he stuck a giant 170 class buck....he couldn't get it out of his system....My wife and kids will miss him ....he would stop by on occasion as he wold head back south (home) and see my wife and family...always had a smile on his face...always had good things to say to my wife and kids...and always had time to drink a cold one. He understood ....slow down and enjoy the moment. Why is it that those always seem to be the people we lose first ???? Scotty went bear hunting with me in Canada several years back....shed hunted with me at least once in the spring every year...and helped me drag my biggest buck out with his son Cole last year....Oh Boy...man I can still hear that "Oh Boy" when he looked at my deer...he actually took the picture that was posted last year as the Photo of the month in mid October....that hits me hard. I am going to post some pictures on here later of Scotty at my farm and Canada...he was a great guy...a dear friend....and he loved his family. He was a great dad...and loved his boys to a fault. He had become really involved in his boys coaching and games...and loved every minute of it. I hope everyone understands accidents happen...but can be avoided if we slow down and think about what were doing....I encourage everyone to wear a hunter safety vest...and even more important...get a Fall Guy Retractor...its about a $75.00 investment in your family and life. I now have 5 of them attached to the main stands I hunt....you are protected when you climb the tree...and when you descend the tree...as soon as you walk up to the tree you hook on....again protected as going up/down...which is when 90% of these accidents occur. Buy one today....buy one for every stand you have...it is the cheapest insurance policy you can buy...and remember....its still just a deer...its not worth the misery left behind. Scotty my friend...I will miss you forever....your laugh, your smile and your great attitude on life. Love ya...you will be missed.....Oh Boy !!!!!

One out of 3 hunters will fall at some point in their hunting career. I started using a Prussic knot for safety when climbing and getting into and out of my stands. Get some good braided climbing rope at Menards, Lowes, etc (looks like mountain climbing rope). I tie it around my tree at the level I place my safety belt around the tree. Then tie it around the base of the tree after taking all of the slack out of it. Tie a prussic knot on the rope and attach the snap of your safety belt to it. The prussic knot can be slid up and down as you climb up and down the tree. You are always attached to the tree. Very easy to install and cheap. Very sad situation.

Top Bottom