Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Chainsaw Advice

BearCreek

Been running a Stihl MS 261 and really like the saw for just about everything. However, running a single saw can be frustrating with changing chains and dealing with pinching, etc. What would be a good companion saw? I'm just using it for general habitat work: girdling, felling, and some firewood cutting. I've considered just buying a second MS 261 or maybe a similarly sized and capable Husky. Any thoughts from the experienced saw guys would be appreciated.

If you want the husky equivalent go with the 550xp. Great saw, good power to weight. Mine has the heated grip which is worth the money.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

DOLMAR/MAKITA 7900 is a great 'large' saw, but expensive. One that I've been extremely impressed with the last 2 years has been this cheap Chinese - Stihl knock off though. Google or Amazon search Farmertec Holzfforma 92cc G660 PRO. At this price point, this saw is an absolute beast. If I'd have test driven it earlier, I wouldn't have bought any of my expensive saws.

If you already have a 261 I would get a second one of those for the work you are talking. Awesome power to weight ratio. They're kinda spendy but will last a long time if treated right. Keep an eye on marketplace. I just picked up a second one that was nearly brand new and got it for $450 with a hard case

We sell saws after a year or so often we can have a good variety around for sale. We run both Husky and Stihl in all sizes. Might go to selling the top handle saws yearly

The MS 261 is an awesome saw. I’m doing similar work and decided that a slightly smaller saw would be a handier companion. For a smaller saw, the MS 201 T is a fantastic saw for girdling and limbing. I’m super impressed with both!

If you want the husky equivalent go with the 550xp. Great saw, good power to weight. Mine has the heated grip which is worth the money.

Loved that saw when it ran right. More than my 261s. Had some issues and lack of dealer support was a big issue. How can you be a huskey dealer and not have the necessary software to plug saw in to properly fix. Shouldn't be allowed by husky.

Loved that saw when it ran right. More than my 261s. Had some issues and lack of dealer support was a big issue. How can you be a huskey dealer and not have the necessary software to plug saw in to properly fix. Shouldn't be allowed by husky.
I absolutely agree. We have a few good dealers in our area thankfully.

I tried running a “variety of models”. Mistake!! When all your saws all use same bars, chains or any part on them- it’s so much simpler!! Whatever saw a guy has…. If u like it- buy another of same saw. I run 4 saws minimum (overkill) …. If one or 2 ever have issues - still sitting fine. Back in my younger years- I’ve got 2 saws hung up in same tree too. ;).

Another vote for 261. We run 4 261s, a 241, and a 210 for a typical 2 guy cut day. 261 all run same bars and chains, so dang simple and efficient. Those 261s are just very efficient powerful saws.

Just read back through the OP. Guessing a 16" bar, max of 20" bar? I agree with others. Since you're happy with the MS 261, buy more of the same. Interchangeable parts and the ability to use the same tools, etc. is nice.

Unless you go with the professional grade Husky models, I'd stay away from them. The farm grades run great initially, but turn into buggars once they need any work.

I'd vote a 362 with 20" bar. I'm not one for having several of the same saw. That combo is also not that bad to carry all day and is an excellent felling saw.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

No experience with the electronically carbureted saws. Im sure they’re nice, until they need some work and you have to find a dealer with the tools necessary to fix them. I know a little bit about small engines and take a lot of pride in being able to fix my own stuff when it acts up. Not being able to do that would drive me crazy!

No experience with the electronically carbureted saws. Im sure they’re nice, until they need some work and you have to find a dealer with the tools necessary to fix them. I know a little bit about small engines and take a lot of pride in being able to fix my own stuff when it acts up. Not being able to do that would drive me crazy!
That was def an issue with my husky dealer. Hence my switch to stihl.

That was def an issue with my husky dealer. Hence my switch to stihl.
Had this issue with the first 362 I ran. Stihl has since fixed the issue and I've ran several of their e carb saws since with zero issues. They tune themselves to every scenario you run into, automatically. I doubt many of you are making minor adjustments to your traditional carb saws every time you cut. I can tune pretty darn well but certainly don't every time I fire the saw up.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom