Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Changing the Hunting Industry- Matt Rinella- podcast & discussion

I think as they described it- If someone is getting 180,000 of government for an irrigation system, to help them make money, why shouldn’t the public be allowed? It’s a huge chunk of change. I don’t know the specifics.
I have my home piece in 2.5 acres of crp because it’s a creek/flood prone spot. But the other 16 acres I don’t have in anything. I get $134 an acre- which is a far cry from what I could be doing with it, so no, I wouldnt want anyone on it because what’s really going to stop someone from going further. Now if they said, we will give you $1134 an acre if you let people hunt it, and here’s a waiver clearing you of any fault. Ok deal.
My Allamakee county farm I get $107 an acre (mind you, neither were farmed before so no good numbers). It’s not like I making 1000s or getting tax breaks like a large majority of farmers.
Farmers field the world- do I think they need tax breaks? To a point yes- but the conversation of the podcast was where do you draw the line?
The rich get richer, example of, realtree is buying up land and dividing it to resell smaller parcels for higher prices. But they will come out with a new camo pattern to make more money, to buy more ground to divide, essentially jamming more people into smaller parcels.
I think honestly I’ve never thought about it as much as I did until now, but they lost me when they mentioned skip sligh (total joke)

Back when I listened to Meateater in the beginning Matt Rinella was my favorite guest. Great stories and was all about getting away in the mountains and not the fame. He was also big in BHA and providing some public access points. I haven't listened to anything of his recently but I bet his opinions have changed

I don't know where to begin. What a brutal, unproductive dialogue. This guy came across borderline unintelligent and seems unbearably sour towards everything. There is a difference between playing a productive, genuine devils advocate and just being a prick. This coat tail rider is the latter.

We ALL agree, xbow companies and politicians do not have the animal or common hunter's best interest in mind. That is our kryptonite, not the private landowner or THP. Just such a weird take by this nobody trying to jar up attention, not even interesting.

Regarding the social media topic, my skin crawls when people post that they couldnt have killed their deer without their Prime bow, DeerCast app, and code blue scents etc. That said, I do not believe there is anything at all wrong with posting a respectful, classy picture with your buck on facebook if you are successfull. Just keep the captions humble. Most of us work so incredibly hard to get the one we are after, it's ok to be proud, just not flashy. HUGE difference.

I'll stop on this tangent after posting this because I don't want to derail this thread and send it down an off-topic, political rabbit hole, but shouldn't the goal be less government reliance for everyone? Doesn't matter whether you're the crackhead on lifelong welfare or a farmer/landowner relying a little too much (maybe?) on government subsidies. What's the difference? What about mega corporations or banks that get overleveraged and want a bailout? Is there maybe a little hypocrisy here?

I just kinda feel like everything is so artificially propped up and have to wonder how things would be if it all went away. CRP (tax dollars) prop up the grain market, the land market is propped up. Oh your land is worth a lot? Oh we're gonna have to tax you on that. Corn -> ethanol -> gas pump -> tax. CRP check, taxed. "Oh here's a little tax break for you because you bought a truck for farm use; see we're helping you out, fine citizen! Oh by the way, these line items here are for tax, title, license you can sign your name by the 'x'." It's a racket. But you're right, it'll never happen because the government would have to relinquish the firm grip they have on the nutsack of its citizens.
In short, the government shouldn't be a piggy bank for anyone, ever, period. Zero bailouts. Zero subsidies. Zero tax incentives. Zero welfare programs. Can you imagine how much further our tax dollars would go?! Charity should be left to the people, of their free will.

I don't know where to begin. What a brutal, unproductive dialogue. This guy came across borderline unintelligent and seems unbearably sour towards everything. There is a difference between playing a productive, genuine devils advocate and just being a prick. This coat tail rider is the latter.

We ALL agree, xbow companies and politicians do not have the animal or common hunter's best interest in mind. That is our kryptonite, not the private landowner or THP. Just such a weird take by this nobody trying to jar up attention, not even interesting.
I can relate with Matt here. He's become so fed-up with what hunting, something that he loves to the core of his being, has become. To the point that his pendulum has swung to the extreem oposite direction as a result.

I feel like you called me a hypocrite...in short, I will say that no, I do not believe that I am a hypocrite for receiving some form of government payment...in exchange for NOT planting crops on my land and then not allowing full public access to my ground.

How would such a thing even work? Would I, as the landowner, be held responsible in case of an accident on my land...where I had not overtly granted permission for someone to be due to it being "public"? Again, in short, private property rights run very deep in this country and have a lot to do with our overall prosperity.
I'm not calling anyone anything.

And I'm absolutely not arguing against private property rights or disagreeing that private ownership is extremely important to maintaining a free society.

Insurance companies may not allow your private land be open to public hunting? That’s why when Pheasants Forever buys land it does not stay in their name.

The state takes it over…

The liability for allowing the public to use your land is unlimited. You could face serious lawsuits for injuries.

I’d advise any landowner to be very careful, you should also let them know if land is leased for hunting. They will more than likely allow it, but charge you more premium.

Last edited:
Insurance companies may not allow your private land be open to public hunting? That’s why when Pheasants Forever buys land it does not stay in there name.

The state takes it over…

The liability for allowing the public to use your land is unlimited. You could face serious lawsuits for injuries.

I’d advise any landowner to be very careful, you should also let them know if land is leased for hunting. They will more than likely allow it, but charge you more premium.
There are laws in place to protect landowners from liability when they allow hunters in. Those protections are not in place when they are charging money for access. I could see it becoming a gray area if the access being allowed was contingent on government payments of some sort.

I'm not calling anyone anything.

And I'm absolutely not arguing against private property rights or disagreeing that private ownership is extremely important to maintaining a free society.
Well, when you replied to me and quoted my message and then mentioned hypocrisy, etc, I thought you were directing those comments towards me.

There are laws in place to protect landowners from liability when they allow hunters in. Those protections are not in place when they are charging money for access. I could see it becoming a gray area if the access being allowed was contingent on government payments of some sort.
Yes, by permission. Also walk in areas in certain states. I’m not saying you can’t allow friends and say co-workers to hunt.

I’m all for that, the slippery slope is when complete strangers can access your land. It would not be for me … that’s all I’m saying !

Yes, by permission. Also walk in areas in certain states. I’m not saying you can’t allow friends and say co-workers to hunt.

I’m all for that, the slippery slope is when complete strangers can access your land. It would not be for me … that’s all I’m saying !
I wouldn't do it either. That'd be the last acre of CRP I ever planted if I had to allow public access.

Well, when you replied to me and quoted my message and then mentioned hypocrisy, etc, I thought you were directing those comments towards me.
My apologies. That wasn't my intention. My use of "you" and "you're" was meant to be an all-encompassing hypothetical. So no, it was not my intention to call you a hypocrite. Or a crackhead.... ha.

My apologies. That wasn't my intention. My use of "you" and "you're" was meant to be an all-encompassing hypothetical. So no, it was not my intention to call you a hypocrite. Or a crackhead.... ha.
All good, thank you. BTW, I too would prefer that the government "get out of" a whole range of things...but once they are "in", it is awful hard to go back. I can't think of very many examples of the government pulling back once they have entered in, harrumph.

Switching gears...I listened to part of this podcast today and while I would partially agree with this guy to some extent on some points, I also think he is hoping for something that will never be that way again. I liked it too when I could knock on doors and get access to high quality hunting, but I could see that fading away many years ago.

Way to much whining for me. Without the property taxes in this Country, how would states operate? To claim the guys in THP are ruining public hunting is ludicrous. They are just a bunch of young guys doing what they enjoy, while trying to make a living. They actually are teaching hunters how to use public lands, to have a good hunting experience. My two cents worth is, roll up your sleeves, sacrifice many other good things in life and buy some land. LOTS of work and expense for the privilege to hunt.

WHO IS TO BLAME?????……
LIABILITY on land for hunting …. It goes through everyone’s mind at some level “maybe I could get sued?!?!” Iowa has laws protecting for permission but there’s still those that worry there’s loopholes for lawsuits or simply don’t trust the system to protect them. Or even lawsuits that WILL take place if u leased your farm out (which not stating if right or wrong on leasing). OR someone trespasses on ur land…. Falls into something, rolls an atv. Claims XYZ was a hazard. U get sued. WHO is to blame for all this madness???!?!?!?! Hunters, landowners?? NOPE!!!…. LAWYERS!!!!!!! Followed by politicians that don’t tighten up our laws & convey more confidence in the legal systems & protections!!!! I’ll leave it there but think a bit on the damage LAWYERS (along with insurance companies that hire them) have caused for hunters or any persons. Can they be a force for good? Sure. But - much of our issues, especially around liability are all derived from bottom feeding, greedy, blood sucking LAWYERS!!!!!!! Think of how many issues they cause, really….. next time u go fill your lawn mower up with a gas can that spills everywhere - think of LAWYERS & POLITICIANS!!!! Root of a heck of a lot of these issues.

CRP- By the way, as mentioned earlier…. This is an easy one….. “mr farmer, your CRP is offered to u at $170 per acre. IF IF IF YOU want to allow for public access…. We offer a $10/acre bonus to that rate. YOUR CHOICE”.

Matt has a few good points he mentioned in the podcast. After listening to Matt on several other occasions and this podcast I think he is fueled my so much hate in his heart. I hope he finds time to meet on common ground with Steve. Sure seems like a lot of jealously coming out of Matt.

Matt has a few good points he mentioned in the podcast. After listening to Matt on several other occasions and this podcast I think he is fueled my so much hate in his heart. I hope he finds time to meet on common ground with Steve. Sure seems like a lot of jealously coming out of Matt.
You think it's hate and jealousy toward Steve, or is it hate toward what the hunting industry has become. (I got that it's the latter.)

Top Bottom