Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Chariton Unicorn Buck

Zim

My buddy's dad took a cool ~140" unicorn buck near Chariton Thursday morning. Forehead antler is about 6". Hanging in Moravia now. Very cool looking. Great for his son too who has been putting in lots of work setting ladder stands close to parking areas where the dad could access. Elderly father had to use crutches to/from stand and moved very slow. Artificial leg giving problems. Buck was shot I believe 200 yards from truck and towards truck after shot, expiring 60 yards away! :D

I will let my buddy post photos, so you'll have to wait.

Just getting him in position to SEE something was challenging. Limited to a couple hundred yards and a ladder stand. Period. After several fruitless days of other hunters walking past, buddy decided to shift gears and go scout other less hunted public lots for him. He found one with zero sign of tire tracks. Took the buck his first morning there!

Zim said:
Just getting him in position to SEE something was challenging. Limited to a couple hundred yards and a ladder stand. Period. After several fruitless days of other hunters walking past, buddy decided to shift gears and go scout other less hunted public lots for him. He found one with zero sign of tire tracks. Took the buck his first morning there!

Can't wait to see a picture. I shot a unicorn buck near Chariton last fall as well and would love to compare the two. My taxidermist said that in 25 years he had never seen one.

picture.php

Very special buck for us as it was very hard for dad to get around. After 55 years of bowhunting he still continues to go after them. This year is very tough for him as it took him 30 minutes to travel the 195 yards on crutches to get to his stand with me carrying his stuff. After I got him into his stand carried his stuff up I continued on my way to my stand. At 7 am this buck went by me 60 yards away and was headed towards dad. I sat there thinking how cool it would be if this buck got within range of him but knew the chances where slim as I was quite some distance from him. Well someone was looking out because at 7:15 I answered my cell phone call from dad telling me he had just shot a good buck. Thank You Iowa for the special buck and the memories. I was not able to put my tag on a buck, but my goal was to make sure Dad was able to use his tag.

Thanks for the kind words. Here is dad heading back to the truck after a morning hunt.

picture.php

I have to say this was a very emotional hunt for me. I have been bow hunting for 32 years with my dad, and have sat with him for 5 years before that while he hunted. Seeing him like this was very tough for me, but the reward was worth the work.

Thanks for sharing. Certainly a nice buck but an even better story. That is hard core dedication and unsurpassed passion. I love it!

Top Bottom