Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cheaper Cams to Replace Moultries

cybball

Wondering what cams are out there that are "relatively cheap" that I could pick up that can replace my Moultries. I actually like my cams. They work, take decent pics, have been fairly reliable and have lasted 3+ years. Problem I have run into is that Microsoft changed something where Moultrie pics are shrunk down where I can only see about 2/3 of each pic. This is a known thing (found multiple threads on the internet about it). Fix is to use different view programs,ect where it becomes a huge PITA.
Most of my cams are old enough I can easily justify making the switch. I usually run around 6-8 cams on my place and really don't want to drop too much $ on each.

Any suggestions? Would like something in the range of $70-&80, reliable and take decent pics.

Thanks guys.

That shrinking pic happens to me to... Thought it was me not operating something right. I hate that shrinking pic thing, ughh

I’m not a fan of my covert cams.
Had really good luck with radix. Exodus but they more. All non-cell type stuff. Buddies who have browning like those.

I’ve switched to all Browning’s. Zero issues- great quality. Super customer service when I had a woodpecker issue. My coverts are used as a dummy camera now in very obvious locations is all.

Love Browning.....threw away my cuddie junk cams......
I do not like my Brownings. The nighttime pictures are so blurry, they are pretty much unusable. The night pictures that are not blurry when the animal is standing still, are still poor quality. I have Patriots and dark ops. I will never buy Brownings again because of this.

I do not like my Brownings. The nighttime pictures are so blurry, they are pretty much unusable. The night pictures that are not blurry when the animal is standing still, are still poor quality. I have Patriots and dark ops. I will never buy Brownings again because of this.
I should have clarified. Strike Force is the Brownings I like. Had 1 dark ops and had similar results. The strike force seemed to be much better and was cheaper

This helps. I had one old Browning that lasted forever that I liked. Never went back but may now. Didn't really mind Mountrie, but when Microsoft did something that messed up the pic formatting, it pushed me to switch. Can't believe Moultrie hasn't come out with a fix of some sort.

I've also had the issue of some of my older Moultries "snipping" the picture when you view on the computer. The easy fix is to 'select all', right click, select 'rotate right', then right click them again and select 'rotate left'. That will fix it and you can open and view them like normal. Small pain but if it allows you to keep using those cameras, great.

I have no idea how well this device will work, as I just bought it and it is still in the package. I will probably set it somewhere this coming weekend. But it is a Muddy brand cam and I got it at Menard's for like $39. Again, I may, or may not, be happy with how it works, but I am happy with the price. :)

That, Daver, is a price I like. I don't need super high quality pics, but pics that do show animal movement night and day. Stinks because my moultries do work, but the Microsoft updates made it a pain to view pics. I may check those out as I need to run to Menards soon.

I just put a couple of these out. They are dirt cheap after the rebate. I've used the cheap muddy's for a couple of years. They do ok during the day and still pictures at night, but if the deer is moving at night, it's pretty blurry.

I'll try to check one of them this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Bought some non cell cams for first time in many years this year. Cuddeback H-1453. $93. They have been good so far

I still run a whole fleet of Cuddeback E2. Best non cell cam ever made not name reconxy. Most are 8 years old now. Still working great.

Picked up 5 Simmons cams with a SD cards for a grand total of $125. One was a dud, so got 4 for the money. Image quality is poor if moving. Battery life is awesome, set lasts a year (non-lithium). Picked up a Wosoda cam that looks identical and is performing the same. Most cams come from one or two Chinese factories.

Picked up 5 Simmons cams with a SD cards for a grand total of $125. One was a dud, so got 4 for the money. Image quality is poor if moving. Battery life is awesome, set lasts a year (non-lithium). Picked up a Wosoda cam that looks identical and is performing the same. Most cams come from one or two Chinese factories.
I am now several years removed from working in the hunting supply industry, so things may have changed and I would not be up on it. But...I have always been skeptical of differences in most brands, as you are right, many of the cams were sourced from essentially the same, or very limited number of, factories. So when considering "cheap" cams...I am not sure that one brand is demonstrably better than another.

Also note, it was not uncommon for a given "brand" to be sourced one year in a given factory, then because it could be made even cheaper elsewhere, the production would be "moved" from one year to the next. So even if Brand X was strongly made one year, there was no guarantee that it would be carried forth to the new production source. It could be good one year and then bad the next, etc.

Again, perhaps things have changed, but that is the way it was.

Top Bottom