Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Christmas Buck

jjohnson

I honestly went out tonight not knowing if I'd see a deer or not. Normally I scout, scout, scout this time of year but had a couple hours to hunt and decided to go for it. I saw 8 does and had a 3yr old 8pt walk under the stand fairly early and then nothing. About 20 minutes before dark I climbed down and walked up the ridge to check the alfalfa field.

As I got close I spotted a doe. I glassed her and several other does exiting the timber heading to feed. Then a good buck crested the hill and fed to the south. I hadn't seen this deer all year but had pics of him in early Oct. He was a horse of an 8pt and was definitely on the hitlist. He fed out of sight to my southwest about 250 yds out. I was pretty content with my night and settled in to see if anything else would show.

I ended up moving to my south another 30yds and then all the deer in the field went on alert. Immediately I thought I'd screwed up big time. It's hard to explain but this deer was headed to a draw to my southwest about 300 yds away (NW wind) and the further I went I guess my wind was getting sucked up this draw.

I was just about to bail off the back of the ridge when I seen him crest the hill coming towards me. He'd stop and look down in the draw and then look toward me. He was 200 plus yards away. I believe he was gonna swing around the back side of the draw and try to find out what he was smelling. In doing so he literally walked right to me. I stopped him at 40 yds and squezed it off.

As smart as he was trying to be ended up being his demise. Definitely not the biggest deer but I'm pumped because he was the one I wanted. He's at least a 4yr old if not a lot older. Huge bodied buck and a good one to take out. Good luck to the rest of you still hunting. I honestly didn't think I'd see a shooter with the way the weather has been. I'll take this Xmas present anyday.

Here's the only time I seen this buck. A video from early Oct.

IMG_0210-1.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

Top Bottom