Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Christmas foiled by another hunter, dang it

boacephus

So I took my daughter(6yr) out on her very first deer hunt with Dad. We got dropped off and only had to make about a 200yd jont up hill, not to bad. Kicked up about 15 turkeys when we reached the top, bonus!!! I wanted to go another 100yds to the next hill to have a better view, of what I wa sure the direction they would come from but...It was a bit breezy and I wanted to get the blind up and her out of the wind, and start up the propane heater, lol. Kicked some snow of the fence line, got set up. All is well, but her toes were cold, we all know that one. About the time she was starting to warm up a rooster came out into the field, bonus!! Toes still aren't quite warm yet, so time to start thinking about calling momma to come get us. Ughh 4pm, man what a bad time to leave, but hey the truck coming up the hill past the blind through the gate into the pasture, made the dicission easier to make. With the limited permission, I thought I had checked with everyone and no one was hunting, cept for that guy, lol.

I was however quite impressed, I didn't even have to tell her to whisper, she was tentative at looking in her "assigned" direction, didn't even move around to much. I was putting this hunt off because as Muddy's Dad knows she is a talker, lol, Barry calls her Gabbygail. So now with the warmer days ahead maybe we can avoid the rain and try again. If not time to see if she can shoot 85gr of powder or find a 20ga to shoot. I was thinking I would have to wait another 2yrs, but she might be able to pull it off at 7yrs old next year.

Great story!

Loved the "bonus" appearances of the turks and rooster. When I take my twins (boy and girl) out in the Double Bull, I sit there just praying for ANYTHING (sparrow, woodchuck, even the idiot-neighbor-who-runs-his-ATV-all-over-heck) to show up!

They can sit there for five hours straight-with their mouths hanging open and no thoughts in their heads-like Dad can /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Cool that you took her out! Keep up the good work /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Great story. LOVED the propane heater bit. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Great that you two could get out and enjoy a hunt.

My 10 year old (boy)tried to shoot a 20ga with the low recoil remingtons.(sabots) He wasn't very impressed with the kick. He shot 3 slugs and didn't do to bad but he couldn't shoot enough to get consistent. I took a couple shots with it and those slugs weren't worth $15. My shoulder was a little sore after 3 shots.I'd go with the muzzy. He can shoot but I remember when I was a little older than him shooting slugs out of a single shot with my brother. It wasn't much fun but I did it anyway. I don't want to push him and have him scared to shoot in the future. I think bird shot would be ok but slugs just got a good kick to them. If you want a youth 20 ga to let her try before you buy one send me a pm. I'm not to far from you.

Top Bottom