Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cleaning a breech plug

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
Cleaned my muzzleloader up to out away for the year and snapped some pics of how we clean the breech plug. After having issues with hang fires or miss fires a few years back we figured out there was rock hard build up in the flash channel/hole that was causing us issues. It took some work the first time to get that rock hard build up out with a 1/8” drill bit but once we got it out we were set for easy cleaning going forward. Here’s how much I got out of my breech after just four shots with Blackhorn 209.

0c0d1fc29d5347d07fde536cf4d8b39e.jpg

8e79674d7c0c7df6e7c6efeb29158c70.jpg

Now you can see a shiney clean side wall in there
e8cba7ad518c48ffcaeea23bcecf4fdb.jpg

We use a small piece of pipe cleaner to clean out the small flash hole at the other end of the breech plug. This has been huge for us and a lot of burned hunts before we figured out how important this was to keep clean to ensure a good ignition of the powder
d27a3d4017d98c628b795f5036da64b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great Info.
You would be surprised how many people think that they only need to use a torch tip cleaner or a pick to clean the flash hole only, and not the flash channel in front of the primer pocket where the carbon builds up. Then wondering why there accuracy had fallen off or are having miss fires.

Last edited:
I will add, Make sure it is the correct size drill bit. My CVA Accura was very specific about the size.
This might be obvious to most,
Don't put the drill bit in a drill!
Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I will add, Make sure it is the correct size drill bit. My CVA Accura was very specific about the size.
This might be obvious to most,
Don't put the drill bit in a drill!
Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Great add, our TC Encores use 1/8”. Buddy has a CVA and that did not fit, too large

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The CVA QRBPs use ~ 7/64” for the fire channel and ~ #71/0.7mm (0.027in/0.69mm) wire gauge for the flash hole.

Measurements taken from CVA’s QRBP cleaning kit.

Attachments

• 96FB8513-D887-46E9-A100-C247F62DB93D.jpeg
    96FB8513-D887-46E9-A100-C247F62DB93D.jpeg
    648.7 KB · Views: 35
Great info. I made a similar setup to cleanout the breech plug. Took a piece of carbon arrow shaft and glued one end into a cork. At the other end, I taped the base of the drill bit and then glued that into the opposite end of the arrowshaft. Now at the range I can stand my Knight DISC rifle upright, insert the arrowshaft up the base of the action and cleanout the breechplug pocket at the range. Carbon falls down out of the breechplug channel. But you must only use alittle pressure/effort on the cleanout, you don't want to oversize the breechplug opening. I also shimmed the breechplug pocket where the primer lies to get better ignition. Now the flame from the primer is all directed down the breechplug channel. This also keeps the breechplug channel cleaner. Never had a hangfire or poor ignition. I just fired off a load I had in the rifle since our mid October muzzloader season here in Maryland and the rifle shoot fine. Cleanup last night was also very easy with Hoppe's Gold.

Top Bottom