Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cleaning Mounts

SaskGuy

Drug last yrs buck home today and in the process of hanging, noticed the old bone yard/playroom has accumulated some dust. What do you guys use to keep your mounts nice and clean?

I clean mine with a damp rag. You can really clean it with anything you like. The guy who tought my taxidermy class says he uses 409.

Mineral spirits on a paper towel and wipe the hair with the grain.. q-tip and windex for the eyes, liquid gold furniture polish on the antlers, a light spray of krylon's crystal clear spray on the nose to make it look wet, and a light spray of Finisheen on the hair to make it smell good and new(actually makes it smell like an old lady with too much of that crap in her hair.. ha)

I use mineral spirits on a cloth to wipe the hair down, q-tips with windex for the eyes and a wet cloth for the nose, once in awhile I use a dog brush to knock the dust out of the hair. I just wipe the antlers off, dont personally like the shiny look of using a wax on them

I just use one of those fluffy dusters on both my deer and turkey.

135.jpg

Sent using IW app

I usually take my mount down and out to the garage where i use a blowgun attachment for my air compresor. First go aginst the hair to get off all the dust then move to the face and finally the antlers then go over it again in the opposite direction to lay any hair that stands up back down. I like this since it makes the hair lay naturally rather than being brushed. I will then use a q-tip and windex on the eyes but no other chemicals on the rest of the mount since they seem to accumulate dust faster. I do this about once a year but evey house is different so you may need to do it more/less frequintlly.

Top Bottom