Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cleaning of a Mount?

deeraddict

PMA Member
What is the best process to dust my mounts? Spray a cloth with dust spray and wipe slightly? Use a micro fiber rag?

Wet a wash cloth with water and wipe the mounts down. Then brush with a
shoe brush. Always brush with the grain of hair. I have mounts from 1990
that look like the day I got them.

Like Non-typ said. Make sure the cloth is just damp, not ringing wet. This is the best thing I have found to make the mounts look fresh

Is there anything that can be put on the nose? I've noticed on a couple of my mounts, the nose's are cracking. Something to keep them from drying out? Thanks

I worked for a taxidermist in Alaska for 3 years that had over 200 different mounts in his house (it was totally insane)...he never ever wiped them down. He believed wiping them down pushes the dust down into the hair over time. Once a summer he and his wife would spend a full day taking all the shoulder mounts outside and blowing them off with an air compressor and then brushing them out. The bear rugs he would hit with the suction attachment on his vaccuum.

If you don't have an air compressor, suck the dust off with a vacuum attachment. Our dyson works awesome for that.

Put some mineral spirits on a folded paper towel and wipe down the hair.. be sure not to get on painted areas around eyes and nose, then blow out with air compressor, then use a dog brush with the really fine wires to comb down with the grain of hair. When I do noses when I do the original mounting, i put a couple coats of mod podge on the nose, then paint, then spray with Crystal Clear gloss from krylon.. makes it look wet. clean eye glass off with Q-tip and windex, then take a really fine paint brush and get some Crystal Clear Glaze and paint on lower eye lid and nictitating membrane. Then spray some Liquid Gold on a cloth and wipe antlers down... Should look good as new! :way:

My taxidermist told me to use a warm damp cloth on the hide, and to apply neats foot oil to the nose and tear ducts once a year. I have been doing this to all my heads since 1994, and they look great. I have 4 heads and the oldest is 16 years and is holding up excellent.

He also said to use boiled linseed oil on the antlers. I did that the first year, but I didn't like the shine. Luckily it wore off over time, and looks normal again.

archery20

If you read from the Taxidermy sites the professionals there say a light wipe down with a dust spray like leamon endust once a week or once in awhile. A treatment of liquid gold furniture polish on a soft rage once a yr. The hair obviously does not have any of it's natural oils anymore, so the addition of the oils helps preserve the life and color.,

Top Bottom