Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Clear Cutting?

darkhollow1

PMA Member
I have a ridge on my farm approximately 10-15 acre area that was over logged before we purchased the farm. It now holds very few trees of any value or that benefit deer. I am considering whiping about 75% of the trees out of this ridge. Essentially creating a bedding area and planting a variety of oak and walnut trees throughout. I was considering collecting acorns and walnut and planting them hoping to get decent growth? Just curious what everybody else has done with a situation like this or if anyone has pointers! Thanks A Lot!

Well...lets see. If you plant them now give it about 40 years and you will have a nice timber. If you make the bedding areas that would work great. But i would probably choose some faster growing trees since oak takes such a long time to grow. I would still plant the oak that way they will always be ther but i would also plant some other trees as well. But anyways it sounds like a great plan to improve the habitat!
grin.gif

Top Bottom