Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

climbing tree stands

J

jason

I was woundering if any of you guys use climbing tree stands? How easy are they to use, are they an advantage, and are they worth there price? Thanks!
Good hunting!

Jason, check out Lone Wolf climbers before you buy any.

Steve

i bought one this year and i absolutely hate the thing....sucks carrying in...it clanks around alot and sucks to set up every time you go out

I have an API Grandslam Supreme climber. Yeah, it's a bit of a pain carrying 20 pounds in and out of the woods and you have to be a little careful about making noise, but I think the versatility is worth it. If you want to move your stand site a little bit, you don't have to go through the hassle of putting up or moving a 'permanent' stand. It's important to have several different stand sites, and it allows you to fine tune your position at will.

I've got one, but where I hunt the trees aren't straight enough to climb with it. I always end up using it as a fixed stand.

FWIW..

If you're thinking of getting a climbing stand you should check out the treesuit too. I used one once last year and have been using it about 50% of the time this year. While you still end up using steps to setup a new spot in the woods you're only out a the steps not another stand. The way the treesuit sets up helps to reduce your profile in a tree and eliminates many unnatural sharp angles you have with a tree stand.

Their use has grown in popularity around here in the last year or so. Stopped by the local sporting goods store Monday night and the harvest board had three bucks over 160 taken with treesuits this past weekend as well as several smaller bucks.

Patrick

Unless your trees are perfectly straight and limb-less, don't waste your time. Sometimes it's just as fast to permanantly secure a stand then to climb with one. This is just my personal opinion but I've put up a few stands in my days.
Big Timber

I bought a api grandslam bowhunter this year because the land close to home has some logging going on that started this week just in time for vacation next week.Will see how it affect the deer in the morning.But I think it packs in easier then my fixed stand and just as quiet if strap it together tight with the straps that are provided.I also use a couple of bungee cords too.It set up fast and can be moved easy when the wind changes.I also use it on some land farther from home that I dont hunt every week,that the local have taken climbing sticks and fixed stands for there on use.Gets a little expensive!But both areas have great straight trees with no branches.

JASON, CHECK OUT THE OLD MAN VISION, IT GRABS THE TREE EXTREMELY TIGHT AND IS BY FAR THE MOST COMFORTABLE STAND I OWN.AND I OWN A LOT OF TREE STANDS..... ITS THE SAFEST ON THE MARKET. I TRIED THE LONE WOLF AND API BOWHUNTER BUT STILL PREFER MY OLD MAN VISION. M350 OUT

I own a API shooting star and a cobra bushmaster and I take the summit 95% of the time.If you are serious about getting a climber this is the one to get,it weigh's 16# and is very simple to operate,plus you get a full body harrness and a safty vid if you order this or any summit.The API is a bit more comfortable but the weight differece is to much.
I hunt primarely in central Iowa and I can almost alway's find a tree to climb in just about any area I want to hunt in,I keep a lookout during turkey season for area's and tree's I can get up with my climber.
You would be surprized how many straight limbless tree's there are in the area's you hunt in.Just thought I would give ya my thought's on this stuff.
GOOD LUCK

[This message has been edited by Buckhunter (edited 11-10-2001).]

Barrow one and see if you like it. I have one on hand (BuckShot) I don't care for the noise. Even if I go slow up the tree I consider it to loud. Walking into the woods with it in the dark of night and setting it up is far more noise than I'll tolerate. It's comfy and great to gun hunt from. I'd try one or two and see if you like it first. Bow hunting is to short range to limit youself to the few trees they work on. I like big fat trees!

Top Bottom