Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Clover in Brome??

Daver

PMA Member
In addition to any regular food plots I am planning for the upcoming year, what is your opinion of this idea...

Frost seeding clover seed over the top of "live" brome. Although I know I would not get a good stand of clover because of the competition from the established brome, I am thinking any amount of clover I can get would be a bonus, sweetening the otherwise "great brome CRP wasteland". I plan on using my allowable acres of food plots in my CRP more effectively, I am just looking for ways to stretch the food supply.

I have seen an occasional clover leaf in the brome, how it got there I do not even know, and my thought is this plan might work at some level. If not clover over brome, what other possible CRP combinations might there be?

You could do some strip disking and set back the brome enough that another cover may establish better. Check the fall 2002 issue of Pheasants Forever for info on CRP contract light disking and interseeding legumes.

If you didn't mow the brome pretty short this fall, chances of frost seeing being successful are not very good due to lack of seed contact with the ground. Something to consider (in addition to Pharmer's suggestion which is also very viable) is to mow it short in the spring and then drill the clover at 2-3 lbs/acre. I did this in '98 when I renewed my CRP and it was great for about 2-3 years - turned that field of CRP into an 18 acre food plot.

It so happens I did mow a couple of smaller areas pretty short this Fall. I could always try it there first.

Heck, I think I could still mow it now. A little unconventional, but I have nothing to lose.

Is clover a viable CRP cover crop? I need to review that list again.

As always, you should check with the NRCS office. But I think you can do mid-contract management on 1/3 of your acreage each year. I don't know if they will allow you to re-plant just clover but they should be able to suggest something better than the brome. I have 85 acres of brome I can't wait to kill once my contract is up in two years.

Tim

Top Bottom