Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cold weather activities/trapping

mzldr4life

What’s everyone doing this weekend to stay busy, maybe nothing outside? I bought some coon traps and was going to try them this weekend, but guessing I won’t have much luck with the cold temps and wind?

Practicing my new bow in the basement. Figured out I can set up a target at 19.5 yards and practice down there. Going to shoot in a techno-hunt league starting this week with a buddy. Guessing he will have to carry me. Lol

Tomorrow will be spent on a tractor clearing the farm out so I can move big bales to the critters. Fed them Thursday to buy time, but with the cold temps, they'll power through hay pretty quick. I put the trickle charger on the IH tractor yesterday, hope the Massey diesel behaves. Put a bunch of conditioner in the tank.

Reactions: HWC
What’s everyone doing this weekend to stay busy, maybe nothing outside? I bought some coon traps and was going to try them this weekend, but guessing I won’t have much luck with the cold temps and wind?

Pretty sure raccoons not doing anything outside this weekend! :D

I might go on Sunday and fell a few big elms for browse. Then maybe burn a couple brush piles on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cold blast won't be here until Tuesday/Wednesday but very wet and muddy. Monday is the last day of late season in PA. In the meantime, I'm sweeping nightcrawlers off the walks and watching the plants blossom in mid-January, WTF!

Same thing I've been doing the last 2 months. Sitting in a boot waiting on a torn achilles to heal. It was kind of nice the snow held off this long, I could at least hobble around the driveway. No way I'm doing that now.

Second the blowing stops…. TSI. Coyote trapping. Guys hunting with thermals on me. Probably some alfalfa Hay bales, minerals, etc.

I'm betting plumbers and heating companies will stay busy over the next couple weeks. Could you imagine your furnace, geothermal unit, or in floor heat going out in -15 degree weather.. :(

Been moving snow the last week, finally getting it under control now. Need to go get the alfalfa, corn, and scratch grains out for the deer and pheasants now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This cold front they won't be moving but during the next week during the warm up the coons will be running.

Not an activity I particularly enjoyed! Shifter froze somehow and truck wouldn't go in drive. Drift busting turned to giant ice blocks under truck.
I busted drifts with the Jeep Grand Cherokee to get to the farm. Parked it, did chores, went to leave and the snow packed around the rider's front tire had frozen, it wouldn't turn, just skidded on the snow. Put it in low lock and used the 4WD to break it free. Probably have a brake pad fall out when things thaw.

Top Bottom