Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Colorado Elk Hunt

Big Timber

I was just wondering if any of you have bow hunted elk in Colorado? I would like to plan a trip there in the next year or two but I wanted to get feedback from someone who has done it before. I also would like to know how you go about obtaining a tag, prices, etc. Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks
BT

I bow hunted Colorado elk in September of 2000. Saw lots of elk and plenty of that great country. The deadline for applications is usually around the beginning of April. However, this is just for the draw units. You can buy over the counter tags at most hunting retail stores (Wal-Mart). The DOW website is www.wildlife.state.co.us. I believe the website has some hunter success data on it as well.

The NR fee was $250 until 2001, when it increased to $450. It's rugged country, so plan to be in great physical shape.
Phantom

I went elk hunting in Colorado in 2000 also, my buddy and I went just west of Denver and got otc tags. We made our trip that year because he had heard that the Colorado was not going to make otc tags available anymore. You might want to check into it. We also went mid September and saw three cows on our second night out, of course we were bull hunting and the cows at 15 yards just weren't appealing. We didn't see anything the rest of the week. We talked to another hunting party from the same area and out of the four of them they had one bull but they were leaving one day ahead of us so we never got an official report. Several people have told me that it seems like the bulls bugle later and later in the season. The gun season was just about the right time for the bulls to start bugling. That's some of my limited experience.

Top Bottom