Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Combatting Mosquitos at Watering holes (tanks)

Bucksnbears

For those thatput out watering tanks for deer, do you do anything to combat mosquitoes larvae?

Left a 5 gallon open pail full of water by my cabin last week and today it was swarming with larvae.

Just looked really gross.

For an experiment, I put a cement mixer into my cordless drill and churned it up real good. Will see tomarro if it worked to kill them.

For those thatput out watering tanks for deer, do you do anything to combat mosquitoes larvae?

Left a 5 gallon open pail full of water by my cabin last week and today it was swarming with larvae.

Just looked really gross.

For an experiment, I put a cement mixer into my cordless drill and churned it up real good. Will see tomarro if it worked to kill them.
Interesting.
Wonder if some kind of treatment would work? I’m totally making this up …. Say like a drop of ivermectin in it?!?!? Got me curious….

Don’t need to worry about them in my water holes because they are bone dry. Cannot buy a rain at my farm, everything that comes thru misses my farm

I just discovered mosquito bits this year and they have worked great around my house. Put a few 5 gallon buckets of water around the property with mosquito bits in it and the mosquitos have almost disappeared this year for me when normally they are thick right now.

Sounds nuts, but if your watering hole is large enough to hold water without drying up, might try minnows or some cheap goldfish. They will eat the larvae and won't hurt the deer drinking from it.

Hmmm?, that sounds like a great idea.
However, late season and no bugs, minnows would die,decompose and stink up the water no?

Top Bottom