Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coon Trapping Kits

Jgamet

New to trapping and looking to take out some coons to help with the turkey population. Any recommendations on what the best coon trapping starter kit would be? I assume having cables included would be smart? Also, any advice on what bait works best would be appreciated. Thanks!

and dry cat food

These paired together will catch all the coons you want to catch and the occasional skunk and possum.

I got these because they are “push or pull” when coon puts hand in. Dog food & Peanut butter work for me but I’m sure million things work fine

Never tried but how about a item with some kind of sauce on it . Like Teriyaki? Smell it from farther away ?

I use cheap, regular old dry cat food. Stick the trap smack dab in the middle of a hot trail, come back and collect your coon the next day.

And remember to gang set, if you have enough traps….my personal best was 5 outta 6 over the course of 50 yards. Major coon trail going from the timber to the neighbors house…who feeds them! Lol!

I use cheap, regular old dry cat food. Stick the trap smack dab in the middle of a hot trail, come back and collect your coon the next day.

And remember to gang set, if you have enough traps….my personal best was 5 outta 6 over the course of 50 yards. Major coon trail going from the timber to the neighbors house…who feeds them! Lol!
Neighbor - "Huh, weird, I wonder where all my little pets went?" ROTFL :) :)

Get some dog proofs and some t handle rebar stakes , easy to put in easy to pull instead of cables.. Set sign your good I always liked just a little chunk of tuna fish a pack goes a long way for a few dollars , dog food , cat fish food , they eat it all..

That's what I was leaning towards. Would a package like this one be the most cost efficient option as opposed to buying them all separate? Comes with 3 traps and 3 cables. Not sure if need a ground stake or if most just cable the trap to a nearby tree? (http://trappingtimetv.net/product/raccoon-trapper-starter-kit/)
The one thing about cabling them to an object is that gives the coon something to use as leverage and to try to pull out.
I personally use cable but earth anchors with a quick connect. Can mark the cable to either pull out later with a lever or if in an annual/ private spot unhook the trap and connect and mark the cable loop for next year.
As far as simplicity on dry land it doesn't get much easier than dry cat food and dog proofs. To mix it up you can use marshmallows with vanilla.
If you are looking to water trap, any cheap 1.5 coilsprings, a trapping spade for making pockets and some fish oil is pretty fool proof.
If you are a beginner make sure you know the dos and don'ts, but conibears in either a bucket or a trail where the location allows and makes sense (gotta be careful you're not around houses or where pets roam).
As someone in here already posted, iowatrapperstalk has tons of information. A national forum is trapperman.com. It is like all forums with some bickering and off topic posts but there in more knowledge or information there than anyone can digest.
If you are a visual learner Iowa Trapper on YouTube is a good watch. Trapper J Outdoors, 330 Maniac, and Coon Creek Outdoors are other you can dabble in. And there's countless dvds and vhs videos floating around to learn from.

Top Bottom