Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Corn Harvest

ARbowhtr

I was just wondering how the corn harvest was going in southern Iowa. I will be heading up there in early november and was wondering if much would be left standing.

JSS

everything that I have seen, its gonna be out and tilled under. But again, thats just what I have seen...

Being a lot of farmers got it in late, I'm sure you will have at least some to deal with. It has been dry here though so getting in the fields at this point is pretty easy. The farms I hunt will have it in until about then though.

Another question then, do you guys like a little standing corn, or would you rather it all be cut?

Thanks for the replies.
JSS

First week of November, I could care less. One less place for them to hide I guess but the older deer seem to just walk wherever, cover or not searching for does

A lot of corn and beans did get in late this year, but the recent dry spell we have had is leading to very good progress now on harvest activities. Unless it starts raining too much, I think most corn will be down by November 1st.

A good amount of corn did not grow real well in SE Iowa this year because there was TOO much rain. So even with some of it getting planted late, it will pick real fast because yields are down.

But corn up or corn down, come November the bucks will be rolling!

It's been dry and crops are coming out as fast as they can get them cut. If it stays dry, you'll not be have any concerns about too much standing corn.

Last year, corn was in late because it was so wet and it made the hunting tougher. Why would deer come out when they can loaf safely inside a food source.....

Combined, not tilled is my preference.

Checked a cam tonight on a bottom that was tilled monday, beans being put into wetlands and didn't have a single buck pic since. They're on acorns hard right now though so that could be it.

Thanks for all the feedback, cut but not disced is what I thought, but only getting a tag every 3 yrs it is hard to get a read on deer behavior in the area. Mainly becouse conditions are different every time I get to go.
I really hope Daver is right, "Come November the bucks will be rolling".

Good luck to everyone, I can't wait till November.

Top Bottom