Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Corn Question....

stevep

I was going to try a few rows of corn out in one of our lower plots. Really more just to try it, than for hunting over. I know that the deer will hit it hard, but I'm planning on putting it in the fenced (electric) area that I have one of my plots in.

So my questions are...

When should I be planting? I'm guessing now, as I've seen quite a few tractors in the neighboring fields...???

Will my co-op sell me just a pound or two of RR ready corn?? I really just want to give it a shot for the benefit of trying.

Thanks!

Steve

Where you at? I have some RR Pioneer seed corn I could give you. I'm in east central Iowa. Otherwise, do what I did last year. Go to your local seed dealer. Once they get done planting their test plots, they either have to throw the rest of those bags away or give it away for food plots. It can't legally be planted for a cash crop. My local seed dealer gave me 19 partial bags full last year for free!

I'm in Central Missouri. When you say local seed dealer, do you mean like a Co-op, or is there someplace else I can go?

Thanks.

You can plant any time you have dry soils now. Plenty of N needed and proper herbicides. If you don't fence it, it won't even make it until September but sounds like that's not your goal. Lots of places for free seed otherwise talk to a farmer and by the sounds of it, you'll get by with paying him $25 for seed for just a few rows. Even though not your plans, I would generally tell people they need to have at least 5 acres minimum for a food plot of corn in a decent deer density area. Small plots get blasted when they put on baby corn. Looks good until then. By the time you realize the nice looking growth just got picked clean by September, it's a done deal & you need to look at rye mix.

I'm in Central Missouri. When you say local seed dealer, do you mean like a Co-op, or is there someplace else I can go?

Thanks.

Corn seed brands each have their own dealers setup covering certain areas. That's all they sell is that brand. A local COOP probably wouldn't be authorized to sell seed corn. Most of the corn and bean seed dealers around here are farmers that just have a warehouse at their own farm full of pro boxes and pallets of seed. I think there is a dealer locator on Pioneer website.

Top Bottom