Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Corning poacher busted a second time !

THEBAD

Sort of sounds like the whole family is a bunch of losers from this story...I hope they hang him

http://www.nonpareilonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19047766&BRD=2703&PAG=461&dept_id=555108&rfi=6

Doug Clayton's Outdoor Scene Column:

Some lessons never learned

11/22/2007

The plan for Department of Natural Resource conservation officers last weekend included running several decoy deer operations just north of the Missouri state line, have dinner, and then go back out and look for spotlighters in conjunction with the state patrol airplane.

The group of officers I was going to work with met at Lake of Three Fires State Park around 2 p.m.

From there we headed to a location where several deer (both bucks and does) had been shot and left to rot in the past several weeks.

Running a decoy operation is either hit or miss, with more misses than hits, and this operation followed the odds with a miss.

Several vehicles came by the road we were set up on, but nothing was observed that triggered any response from us. The other decoy set up in another county also had the same negative results.

After retrieving the decoy, we headed into town for some supper. Around 7:30 p.m., we headed out in different directions to sit on areas overlooking prime spots and waited for the state patrol plane to locate some spotlighting activity.

For hours, the plane flew over several counties and didn't find anything. As with the decoy, hours are spent just sitting around, hoping and waiting for something to happen. Around 11 p.m., one of the officers said that the plane should make one more sweep and, if nothing was found, we might as well hang it up for the evening.

At 11:30 p.m., the plane spotted a red spotlight working around the towns of Lenox and Sharpsburg in Taylor County.

Conservation officers Andrea Bevington and Eric Sansgaard, who were riding together headed in that direction. Not too long after that, Marc Roberg and Dan Pauley, also riding together, started in that direction.

During this whole time, the plane was reporting on the vehicle's continued use of the red spotlight, which was very visible from the air.

Initially it sounded like Bevington and Sansgaard were just about on the suspect vehicle when the distance between them started to increase. Bevington mentioned that she was going at a pretty good clip and was loosing ground for some time. It took a while, but they finally got the suspect vehicle stopped. One thing that worked in our favor in finally getting them stopped was that the right rear tire of their truck was shredded and barely hanging onto the tire rim.

Some time after the vehicle stopped, I called Roberg to see how it was going, and he said he'd call me back as they were rather busy. Earlier that evening, Roberg had called me saying that after supper we'd forgotten to transfer a deer rack to me that needed measuring to determine the amount of liquidated damages that would be assessed in a deer case of his.

We thought that we'd make the transfer later that evening when we were done working, but considering where they had made contact with the spotlighting vehicle, I decided to head in that direction and cut off some time and distance.

After getting directions several times along the way, I finally arrived where they had stopped the vehicle. In talking with Roberg and Pauley, I found out that the driver was the same young man that had been convicted of poaching a very large non-typical deer in Adams County a couple of years ago. Also in the vehicle was his brother, who is an elementary school teacher in Council Bluffs.

When stopped, they didn't have any weapons or spotlight in their vehicle because they had thrown them out. It didn't take a very long search before Pauley found all the items in the nearby ditch. Seized were a .22 rifle, .17 rifle, .22 handgun, a spotlight and one raccoon.

The citations the two received were for spotlighting, having loaded weapons in a vehicle on a public road and not having furharvester licenses.

The driver is also looking at the additional charge of hunting while under suspension because of the Adams County poached deer case conviction.

Like I said earlier, some people never seem to learn.

Talking to the other officers later that evening, it seemed the two men, at least in the beginning, were a little sarcastic in their answers and had somewhat cavalier attitudes over the situation.

The father of the driver showed up during all this and also made some comments towards the officers who had stopped his son's truck.

Finally, at around 2 a.m., the two men were kicked loose and heading home. In short order, we too were heading towards our homes.

My body fell into bed right at 4 a.m., but my sleep didn't last very long.

At 8 a.m., the dogs were trying to get me up - but that was only about 30 minutes before I had to get up anyways as I had to give a talk on Iowa hunting laws to a hunter education class mid-morning at Bass Pro.

It's times like these that make the fall hunting season one big blur.

hoofline.gif

Glad you guys caught them BlindSow. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<span style="color: #000099">Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; </span>Details Here!<span style="color: #000099">&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;</span>

hoofline.gif

Top Bottom