Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

countdown... two weeks!

H

handysix

Can't wait for gun season to start! I have been lucky enough to get drawn for an out of state tag the last two years and saw more deer on my uncle's land in Marshall county in the first two hours of the season than I have in Missouri the last four years combined! I hunt deep in southern MO and the temperatures had a lot to do with low deer kills. I traded my rifle for my shotgun this weekend and went after some "webfooted" critters instead. Hopefully the temps will drop dramatically as it was almost 80 down here today! Please let in snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!! Good luck everyone.

I hear ya Handysix, I keep counting the days til slug season starts. Went out last night with my dad driving around our hunting area and spotted just about as many bucks as does! Good luck!

4 of us from penn. are very itch on shotgun season and visit the friend from argyle,iowa for third times we hunt in zone 6 on lee county. group of us bagged 7 bucks last yr which bigg' one 150 s with 10 pts and 10 pts scored 140. we love hunting there... good luck i will let you guys know. iowan hunters and farmers are very friendly.

Is the majority of hunting during the gun season done using drives? Is still hunting common or does anyone put up stands? I have been to Iowa many times but never hunted it during the gun season. Any pointers?

It is almost entirely drives.

I can't wait for late muzzleloader. There, you can hunt from stands and very little if any driving goes on. Landowners think you are nuts going hunting when it is 0 deg outside, so finding a place to hunt is easier than bowhunting or shotgunning. To me, it is as fun as bowhunting!

Hey Swanny, should I try to hang a stand or not bother? There will only be two of us on about 400 acres that has one creek bottom winding through it with fields all around. I don't know how we will do two person drives but I look forward to trying!

The Chief (Meg says Hi)

If you have exclusive hunting rights to the land you are on, I would say yes putting up a stand would be worth the time spent. Assuming land adjacent to yours gets pushed by other hunters, deer will be running into your timber and you may see lots of action. If sitting on stand for is unproductive, you can always try driving the deer later in the day.

How effectively 2 can drive deer depends upon the hunters and the terrain you hunt in.

Have fun

Chief is EVERYWHERE! You finally made your way to the best site on the internet for whitetails! I don't know if it is possible to do a 2 person drive on that much ground. Maybe you oughta set up a couple stands and let your neighbors do all the pushing for you. If you don't see anything by noon, then start doing your own pushes. Then again, it all matters how warm it is going to be also. Let me know how you do.....and tell the 'Boss' hi for me too.

Swanny

I have been using stands for shotgun hunting for five years now. We hunt for meat during shotgun season, and just a good reason for old friends to get together. I have tried to get them all to start bow hunting but I'm not having much luck. I have filled a tag every year since using a stand. I think a two man drive would be pretty hard.

I'm going nuts with the waiting...squirrel hunting and scouting is somewhat effective in controlling the fever but still, the days are really dragging.

This will be my first attempt at a deer. I must give the wife credit for coaxing me into the purchase. Up till now I'd been content with small game and upland hunts. So, here we go...I look forward to reading the posts here since signing on today. Spent alot of time over at HA...someone there said to check you out so here I am and boy, am I impressed. Look forward to sharing tales and tips...

Swanny, been posting here for a while! This is the best whitetail site going. The land around my section appears to be nothing other than fields for miles with spots of timber here and there. Will groups drive these fields or is that mostly reserved for timber? Thanks for your help, The Chief

Last year I sat in a stand on the opening day of gun season. Well, at least as long I could as it was snowing like a sumbitch. Froze my ass off but I did see a bunch of nice deer.

I recommend at least the first morning if you can, sit down, get in a stand, just hang out. the deer seem to be MOVING hard when the first shots of the season kick off.

If you only have a couple of guys to so a drive or a push, which my wife and I had to do a couple of times: She set up on the area she assumed they would come out and I took my time wandering towards her. Lots of stopping, looking around, Zig Zagging. What I found was a couple of bucks doubling back down a small creek bed. We let them go, small fives, but they acted like a decoy for the big bad ass that we knew was in there. He bolted in between us not offering a shot but it was a great expirence and we did have plenty of chances to fire at others.

If it is like around here, the neighbors will just tresspass and push them to you anyhow......
wink.gif
If there is not much hunting activity around your area, maybe you should sit in a stand til late morning. Then if you don't see anything, do some pushes in the afternoon when they are laying down.

This will be my 9th year slug hunting from treestands and my dad, two uncles and younger cousins do the same.....and it has worked great all those years. I have found that neighbors and their deer drives push deer towards our property all the time. If it gets too cold....get down and sneek around for a while.......
Good luck and good hunting!

Driving deer with two people is pretty tough business in that much timber. I once watched 2 guys push a draw that couldn't have been 50 yards across at the widest point to two blockers at the far end. 9 deer doubled between them and headed out the top end, with three nice bucks leading the way.

After they got done, they came over and accused us of already having hunted it, since (and I quote): "there were deer in there this morning."

Good luck to everyone this year - safe hunting.

Top Bottom