Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coyote calling

Outdoor Fanatics

PMA Member
I'm going to be doing some coyote hunting this weekend and it got me thinking of different calling techniques. I have a foxpro electronic call and I usually mix it up until i find what they are reacting to best that day. So my question for you guys is, what's your calling consist of? Do you start with howls every time? Do you go straight to the distress calls? What distress calls do you use? Do you prefer the sound of cottontail over jack rabbit? Do you use fawn or cow distress? And what's your go to call?

I personally use all mouth calls, simply because that is what my dad taught me to use when I was a kid. I have hunted with friends that use electronic callers but never with much luck as they just let the call play and play and play. To me, a dying animal would never sound like that because they don't have that much air in their lungs. I personally use short softer distress calls about every minute to two minutes in case that coyote is just over the hill. Gradually getting louder the longer I sit but never blowing on the call for more than 10 seconds.

As for what distress sound to use. I go by what animals are readily available in the area where I am hunting. I grew up in Western Nebraska where Jack's and Cottontails were both plentiful so I used both. Here, I have not seen many Jack's so I don't use that call. I believe a coyote can tell the difference in a call and if something doesn't sound normal, they won't come. I also use a woodpecker distress call if I am calling in or closer to heavier timber and it is also my call of choice for bobcats. I have just had better luck with that call than I have with a rabbit in distress call for cats.

I have howler's and pup distress calls but I don't use them much unless a coyote barks at me first because he has seen something he doesn't like or is just unsure. In those instances I just try to mimick what that coyote sounded like to make them come look.

My go to call was a little Primos cottontail distress call but I gave it to a 12 year old kid whose dad allowed my son to shoot his first turkey in Nebraska over Christmas. He was wanting to get started into calling so I went with him and called a couple in for him to shoot at and he had a million questions about the call so I figured he would put it to good use as I don't call as much as I used to. Other than that, I like my Johnny Stewart calls the most. Sorry so long but I hope this helps. Just some things I do.

Gundog

I tried everything yesterday with a dozen sets and nothing worked with the foxpro. It was pretty windy though and really it hasn't been cold until the last day or two. Coyote tracks everywhere.

Gundog how do you make a woodpecker distress with a mouth call ? I've been trying to hunt coyotes in the evening just about every day and still haven't seen one and I know they are out there because I've seen their tracks I just can't get any to come in, I've used rabbit distress calls but there aren't a whole lot of rabbits in our area ,
Thanks in advance for any help.

Renowned coyote hunter Randy Anderson claims that his success rates increased almost 50% when he began implementing coyote vocalizations into his sets. I could see how call-shy coyotes would seem to feel more at ease if they hear another yote in the area. Following a vocalization with an animal distress call not only makes another coyote curious but also triggers a feeding response. If you have ever watched domestic dogs with food, the bigger more aggressive dog always gets the bone. :D A coyote is always up for an easy meal and if they can just reap the rewards of their buddy's hard work they will do it. I have used jack rabbit distress calls in my area and we do not have jack rabbits here yet they still respond. One of my favorite sets is using woodpecker in distress and then switching to coon-fight. I have probably killed more dogs over this that any other set. I credit this to the fact that not many guys in my area use this combination. I could see how an over hunted coyote could become wary to the cottontail in distress calls that seem to be the staple. I learned a long time ago that if it is too windy you are better off staying in bed or driving the sections glassing fence lines looking for yotes you could put a stalk on. Animals are just more skittish and don't move as much when it is really windy. Now is the prime time for calling, don't get discouraged if you don't call one in on every set. That's not how it works. Keep after them and when you are successful it will make up for all the dry stands :way:

What times of day do most of you call? Just morning and evening? Or during the day too? I got one last sunday right at first light with a yote bark followed by a cottontail squeal. Saw some out mid day cruising fields too.

The call I have is woodpecker distress call made by Randy Anderson I believe. I basically blow it the same way I would a rabbit distress call. Again, when I make my first couple of calls, I don't make them as loud as I can. I start quieter and get louder as I go. I have had more than one occasion where I had a coyote just over the hill and blew the call too loud (I'm guessing) only to see them come out going the other way and I have had coyotes in sight before I finished the first call starting out quieter. I guess what I am saying is that I want my first call to be able to carry 200-300 yards if I am in the open and 100-200 yards if I am in thicker timber if that makes sense.

Agree with Skully, don't get frustrated if you don't call one in on every set. Everything I was ever taught and have heard from professionals is that 1 called in 7 sets is about average unless you are overpopulated. Also agree with going back to bed if it is very windy. At best they can't hear the call or you will just educate them as they don't move a lot in windy conditions.

I've always had my best luck from 10 am on as long as it doesn't get too warm during the day. Extreme cold like today, first light after they have had a night of hunting, hoping they had no luck but it makes it harder to sit for very long.

This time of year I use the fox pro, start out with a few female coyote howls, wait 3 min then start challenge barks. The main advice I would give is be patient and don't over call. Just because one doesn't answer doesn't mean there's not one headed in to investigate. I will use the distress calls at the end of my sets this time of year. Don't get discouraged its not as easy as they make it look on tv. Make sure you watch the wind as well a coyote will most likely circle downwind of your caller. Don't be afraid to try something new even if the species in distress isn't in your area. Coyotes are curious creatures.

Coyote+1+WA.jpg

IMO it doesn’t matter what distress call you use just don’t over call. Make the coyote look for the prey.

Coyote vocalizations are really good this time of the year. I like the challenge howl and the female in heat calls during February.

Midwest coyotes like cover to approach the call, place the call 100-200 yards out from your shooting position.

I like to place my call in a cross wind and I spend most of my time watching downwind of the call.

And don’t forget, where there are cows; coyotes are not far away.

Be patient, I hunt a stand for at least 45 minutes to an hour.

Last edited:
I personally use all mouth calls, simply because that is what my dad taught me to use when I was a kid. I have hunted with friends that use electronic callers but never with much luck as they just let the call play and play and play. To me, a dying animal would never sound like that because they don't have that much air in their lungs. I personally use short softer distress calls about every minute to two minutes in case that coyote is just over the hill. Gradually getting louder the longer I sit but never blowing on the call for more than 10 seconds.

As for what distress sound to use. I go by what animals are readily available in the area where I am hunting. I grew up in Western Nebraska where Jack's and Cottontails were both plentiful so I used both. Here, I have not seen many Jack's so I don't use that call. I believe a coyote can tell the difference in a call and if something doesn't sound normal, they won't come. I also use a woodpecker distress call if I am calling in or closer to heavier timber and it is also my call of choice for bobcats. I have just had better luck with that call than I have with a rabbit in distress call for cats.

I have howler's and pup distress calls but I don't use them much unless a coyote barks at me first because he has seen something he doesn't like or is just unsure. In those instances I just try to mimick what that coyote sounded like to make them come look.

My go to call was a little Primos cottontail distress call but I gave it to a 12 year old kid whose dad allowed my son to shoot his first turkey in Nebraska over Christmas. He was wanting to get started into calling so I went with him and called a couple in for him to shoot at and he had a million questions about the call so I figured he would put it to good use as I don't call as much as I used to. Other than that, I like my Johnny Stewart calls the most. Sorry so long but I hope this helps. Just some things I do.

Gundog

Where in western Nebraska did you grow up? I grew up in alliance ne. Man i miss the good hunting out there!

McCook, I guess I should have said SW Nebraska but it's still out west. I did play a lot of baseball in Alliance growing up though. Yes, the hunting is good out there. They at least still have good numbers of pheasants to chase around. Its a different type of hunting overall than here though.

Last edited:
McCook, I guess I should have said SW Nebraska but it's still out west. I did play a lot of baseball in Alliance growing up though. Yes, the hunting is good out there. They at least still have good numbers of pheasants to chase around. Its a different type of hunting overall than here though.

totally for different for sure! the pheasants are doing awesome out there. they are doing all that notill. planting corn in wheat stubble makes awesome habitat.

Gundog

Absolutely well said! I could only add a couple things. Always have wind blowing left to right or vice versa depending on which way they come from. I always start with a couple howls. Depending on time of year either a challenge howl or a hello howl. Wait 5 minutes. If nothing do a short 10 to 15 second distress. When you see one coming lip squeak only as needed. If you have 2 or 3 coming the lead one will almost always be a female. Let her come til shes almost gonna get your wind and lip squeak and dump her! The rest will run. You can howl with your voice and get them to stop one time...dump the farthest one..then try a running shot on the third! Have personally taken 2 often and sometimes 3 this way with a bolt gun. Also..one other tip...this time of year set up close to cows. Where there are cows there are dogs. Call for 10 to 15 seconds and wait 5 minutes. If nothing in 25 minutes ..move. Also just mouth calls . Just my experience...hope it helps.

Top Bottom