Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coyote dogs and Private Land Deer Hunting.

Over a half mile away? Granted we have smaller farms over here in IL but that stuff doesn't fly anymore. Dogs aren't allowed on our farm.
I've walked by deer bedded within 100 yards of treeing coon dogs. One time there was a gobbler in the same tree the dogs put a coon up in.

A half mile isn't anything for most hounds to go. Granted I don't think coon dogs have near the same intrusion factor as coyote dogs do in the daytime if they're actually running the deer.

Granted I don't run dogs any more and haven't since around 2000....the farms that allow hunting or don't care are too far and in between to enjoy a good coon hunt.

I have no problem with respectful coon/coyote hunters using dogs. Outside of deer season I'd encourage it. The disrespectful, entitled ones will ruin it for the rest and that sounds like what a few are dealing with.

My issue is neighbors letting dogs run loose. These are the dogs that chase deer for fun, not well trained coyote dogs. These are trash dogs owned by trash people. I was told by a CO that a dog or cat without a collar is considered "feral" and fair game...I've never had to test it.

I haven't seen any coyote hunters running dogs in my area for some time, which is good. A previous encounter, the guy was throwing his dogs over the neighbor's fence, asked me if I owned the ground when I stopped on the road next to him. That right there told me he didn't know who owned the ground and probably didn't care. I heard the "dogs can't read signs" excuse as he claimed he didn't have control of where they run. I informed him that he truly did have control, as he could keep them in the kennel in the back of his truck, problem solved. ;) I wanted to pheasant hunt the creek bottom that day, didn't want his dogs to bust them all out.

Another time, I was sitting on deer stand and heard his dogs coming from way off, headed my way. I thought they might stir up deer which might help me but didn't happen. His dogs continued through my place, got onto the neighbor's river bottom where there are very few roads. I chuckled to myself, since he wasn't going to be able to follow them with his truck (they were radio collared). The area without roads was HUGE. I'm sure he found them somewhere, but he tore up and down the road in his truck looking for them for the next couple of hours.

Then, I've had a couple of neighbors who let their pet dogs run. One thankfully moved away (was renting a farmhouse). Still have one neighbor who has a beagle that I get occasional trail cams of as it chases rabbits.

All this makes me somewhat angry that I'm paying for a "private property" that isn't so private...... But I'm not going to alienate the neighbors though, still have to live next to them and might as well keep it on civil terms.

I have no problem with respectful coon/coyote hunters using dogs. Outside of deer season I'd encourage it. The disrespectful, entitled ones will ruin it for the rest and that sounds like what a few are dealing with.

My issue is neighbors letting dogs run loose. These are the dogs that chase deer for fun, not well trained coyote dogs. These are trash dogs owned by trash people. I was told by a CO that a dog or cat without a collar is considered "feral" and fair game...I've never had to test it.
I was told the same, you are 100% right.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

The fact that guys are killing coyotes or racoons still doesn't excuse the fact that they and/or their dogs are trespassing on my property.

I have zero tolerance for that kind of entitlement, and lack of respect.

That's why I gave it up personally.

There's plenty of times they get out of the box searching. Some dogs will go a mile or 2 to get treed.

Wouldn't the hunter have a case for a lawsuit against the dog owners?
We had a problem with 3 or 4 house dogs running deer almost every day. 2 seasons ago two of them came down a trail, saw me in the tree stand and just stood there barking at me. I tried changing to one of my old arrows to shoot them but they ran off. Thankfully a neighbor text a few months ago that the dogs are gone. I don't know what happened to them but would sure as hell testify on their behalf if they ever ended up in court. The dog owners need to be held more accountable for these situations.

You can only tell somebody so many times their dog is on your property. Most likely it’s not just you telling them either, will probably be multiple neighbors. If they don’t get it after the 5th,6th, 7th time that dog probably isn’t coming back home.
Even after telling them “we got snares all over the place might not wanna let your dogs run free” and it still happens tells me the owner doesn’t give a crap about his dogs. Says there coyote dogs but they are definitely deer chasing dogs.

To the OP. I feel your pain. Call the sheriff every time you see them loose or on your property. Keep all trail cam pics of them and email them to sheriffs office - videos really help. After so many dog at large tickets and complaints the tickets will go up

Top Bottom