Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coyote Down

kbgibby

Threebeards
Ran up to Northwest Iowa for the day on Saturday for some pheasant hunting. Figured with the snow, it would be perfect.

There was about 7" of snow, no wind and 8 degrees when we started at 8 p.m. Worked a creek on my wife's uncle's farm and saw no birds but kicked out five does. Moved to the other side of the river and the dog found one hen sitting very tight. Moved to a food plot and had a couple of roosters get up way ahead of us. Off in the distance, I saw a coyote cut across a hillside.
We worked some cover along the edge of the timber and my brother in law's lab started barking but we couldn't see anything. Then I caught a glimpse of something moving through the trees and here came the coyote on the run in our direction. I pulled up on him and shot twice, and he dropped down over the river bank. Walked over and found him in the water.

321Yote.jpg

We hunted another farm later and had shots at some birds but the roosters seemed to flush wild while the hens sat so tight the dog almost caught several of them. Still a fun day in the field!

I'm going to have to go late muzzle up there over Christmas. We could believe the amount of tracks in the snow from less than 24 hours. We busted several more does, including a group of five. Didn't see any bucks, but I'm sure they weren't far away.

H&H,

Same for me though they're typically out of shotgun range. He was in pretty good shape with nice pelt. My brother-in-law was going to take him to a furbuyer. I'll be interested to see what he brings.

Very cool!! My dad and I had a similar situation while phesant hunting but it ended being a no shot situation because of the dogs. I am sorry to say that I missed one from the bow stand earlier this year I shot under him at about 25yds. I really wanted him. Congratulations again!!

[ QUOTE ]
H&H,

Same for me though they're typically out of shotgun range. He was in pretty good shape with nice pelt. My brother-in-law was going to take him to a furbuyer. I'll be interested to see what he brings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering you shot him with birdshot I am guessing not much if any.

Top Bottom