Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coyote hunting

antlerfreak

Im tagged out atleast until late muzz. and I just got a new .223 and have been over ran with yotes this year. Do any of you guys yote hunt, and if you do can you give me some tips.
Ive never hunted them before, So I figured I would just go buy a speaker caller and set up on a hill down wind and give it a try. Is there more to it than that?
Morning, day or night? do I need a decoy? Is it better with snow on the ground? which calls do you use when? exc. exc.
Im trying to stay somewhat simple about this and not get in to deep, god knows I dont need anymore expensive hobbies.

thanks

Don't do it.....you'll be hooked for life! Few things to always remember..
-never get skylined when ur walking into your hunting spot
- always play the wind..either a cross wind or in your face 99.9% they
will come in from the downwind side. anticipate which way you think they are
going to come from and set up accordingly.
- where good camo...they can pick you off a long ways away.
- Don't call to loud in your 1st series of cries....coyote could be really close
to you and you don't know it.
- Usually give each spot a good 20 -25 minutes before choosing your next stand...
the 1st 5 minutes are usually the best..don't take em long when they are hungry
- When you see a coyote coming don't keep calling unless he stops then give em
alittle bit more...try to "Kiss" em in by squeeking your lips if they get within 100
yds.
- If you shoot 1...keep calling....had many come in after the 1st one is on the
ground.
- Did I mention play the wind? #1 factor in your success...
- Have Fun...it's addicting!

FF

No need for a decoy. I have had the most success at night with a full moon or right at first light. A lot of success with a fox pro, but have called in my share with the hand calls. Have had great success with Red Dessert howler! My favorite hand calls are the Kiyi and tweety. I just set up where I can see where they are coming from, they will always head to your downwind side, whack them in between. If you can see them, just lip squeek, best call on the market.

IF you miss, dont freak out, just bark first, that will probably stop em, unless they have the after burners on. Then RAPID FIRE!!

This one came in with three others. I broke my own rule and after I killed him I never tried to stop the others, just kept blazing. I am sure they would of stopped at a bark. Hindsight is 20/20

P.s. Don't over call an area.
16955_525763086492_209102674_31454449_6959037_n.jpg

Thanks for the info, my .223 is also an AR like yours, I got it for prairy dog hunting next spring but after sighting it in a couple days ago and shooting 5" groups at 600yds I cant wait that long. Is the caller in front of your yote in the pic the Fox Pro. Is that what you would recommend for me to get? I dont really want to go with hand calls, not knowing anything about it, who knows what I would sound like.
Is there a rule of thubm when starting to call? do you start out with coyote howls or do you always use something like an injured prey?
what do you consider over calling.....similiar to turkey calling?

and last but not least, what do you guys do with them after you kill them assuming I have some luck, Ive heard its a pain to skin them and tan them, and im not in it for the $ of there hides, I may mount one if I get a good one but other than that, can you leave them out for others to eat on or do they not eat there own?

I just take our yotes to that fur buyer and get like 5 bucks for them. We don't shoot that many for it to be worth messing with.

I usually start with some female invites and wait a few than hit the distress. If ya get an old male to act up. YOU WILL KNOW, its like a coyote that has smoked for 60 years, Ill challenge him. More howling closer to February, thats when they start to pair up.

Overcalling-like hitting the same spots too often-like over hunting a tree stand. You have to determine what that is.

Any foxpro is good, I believe that is an FX4. I also have as JS12 that is good, and cheaper (johnny Stewart).

I would look into the new Fox pro Spit Fire.

What black gun did you go with and what are you running through it?

Also, Hand calls are easy, you are trying to sound like something dying!! If you and I were getting chewed on by a coyote, I bet we would sound different :)

I got a rock river arms varment A4 with a 24" stainless barrel and O.D. green furniture, its pretty sweet looking! I put a Burris Xtreme tactical 3x12x50 scope on it. Im not a goo roo when it comes to sharp shooting but a friend of mine is and he has me shooting 62gr reloads out of it for everyday shooting, and 85gr reloads for long range 400yd+. only problem with those though is they wont fit in the clip, I have to load them one at a time.
I cant wait to try it, Ill post some pics if I have any luck.

Thanks

As another poster said, don't start because you will be hooked. I have been out a couple of times this year as I am not hunting deer again until late season muzzle loader. I have one female that I would really like to get because last spring she would sit up on a hill and bark at me when I was trying to call turkeys. Needless to say, a coyote barking seems to make turkeys nervous. I have been out twice in the last 2 weeks trying to get her to come in to my Foxpro, with no luck. She is pretty smart. I might have to wait until turkey season to get her.

Depending on my mood, I will either use my Savage model 10 Predator or my AR. My Savage shoots lights out with my hand loads, the AR not quite as good, but good enough for coyote hunting.

The other guys have stated the basics very well. Take a look at this web site for more tips. http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ It all about predator hunting and the guys on it are great guys. Calling in farm country is tough with all the roads and houses around. A coyote is smart and cagey. If you can get one to come in and you can kill it, consider it a trophy.

004.jpg

Last edited:
Buy a Randy Anderson video....he is fun to watch and does a good job of explaining too. Along with what the others have said....it is addicting.

not a lot of experience calling them in, but our deer camp group drives around spots em and we drive em like deer. We always look forward to coyote season in late jan and early feb after deer season is over

I always like to put the caller about 50 yards away from me and hope they come inbetween me and the caller. They are so fixed on the caller I just stand next to trees and shoot them as they come in. Granted that is when I am calling in the day in the woos. They don't even look at you. I have shot them all day long from morning, noon and middle of the night. love hunting the full moons!!

I have a foxpro FX3 and absolutely love it. I would like to have the FX5 remote though. I use a Tikka T3 22-250.

Will - you're tagged out? Big buck?

Do I ever shoot anything other than a big buck:D just kidding:D

I was fooled by a very young deer that made his rack look much bigger. It all happened in about 12 sec and I didnt take the time to "make sure"

classic case of ground shrinkage. I wouldnt say I regret it, but also not as pumped as one should be. I guess Id say im content with him.

2010bowbuck.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone have any ideas or advise on Bobcats? I have a chance to set up on one that has been seen entering the same brush pile multiple times over the last week, He is a Giant Tom Ive been told. can you call a bobcat out into the open or am I going to have to sit and wait him out.

thanks

I've never called in a bobcat before, but from what I understand. Cats will respond to calling but it usually takes them a bit longer to show themselves than it does a yote. I always hear that cats will typically sit back in the shadows and watch for a long time. I've seen on dvd's where the guys will sit a call for 30min or more before a cat shows up and usually they are sitting under a cedar tree or along the edge of a brush pile in the shadows. I always hear you should really glass the area thoroughly before getting up and moving to the next set, as the cat might just sittin waiting in the shadows.

I think I'm gonna try a little kitty calling soon myself. I've been seeing a couple different cats around and one is a huge tom.

P.s. Don't over call an area.

I was just rereading this post and gundog870 has got it right. One way to certainly make it tough calling yotes is to over call an area. It seems like the first time I call an area is the one I have the most success. Make sure the wind is right when you do and you can be successful. Hunt when the wind is wrong and you'll just be sitting in the cold making a lot of noise and shooting zilch.

antlerfreak- here in Kansas we have plenty of cats and call them all the time. One thing that is different is yes they take a little longer to come in, but they don't just come running in. The sneak along take their time and will just sit down and survey the area before commiting.

There are a lot of times we have stood up from a set to see a cat go sneaking off, he was sitting there the whole time. Or you will look over and 40 yards away their will be a cat just sitting on his butt looking things over.

I have called in a bunch of cats, shot 5, but have yet to have one come running in like a coyote does. They are slow and careful.

Tip: Cats are visual hunters, we often take a piece of 9 gauge wire, and bend it in a L shape. Then tie a string to a pheasent wing or turkey feathers and hang it off the wire a foot or so off the ground. A little brezze will make it spin, and often they will try to stalk it.

Top Bottom