Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coyote

Liv4Rut

This weekend I decided I was going to try to call in some coyotes and got skunked yesterday evening. I hunted from 11pm -5:30am with 3 sightings but no shots. Those public land coyotes are tough!! I did have some exciting moments though. The first set up I put my Foxpro on top of a brushpile with my wounded woodpecker on top of it about 80 yards away from me in a brushpile. I couldn't really see the brush pile because it was hidden in the shadows. About 5 minutes into the calling session I heard this loud smack and my caller got quiet. I pulled up my gun and I see something going just thrashing my caller on the backside of the brush pile, so I only caught glimpses of it. I jump up and started sneaking up there thinking I could close the distance and no matter which way it ran I would at least get a shot. As soon I got close a huge owl flew up off the top of my caller. Talk about a shock. The same thing happened at the next set up an owl swooped down grabbed my woodpecker and droppedit about 20 yards away. That was the excitement of last night.

Tonight I decided to try another public area that was close to home and I knew everytime I hunted there in the past that when I set up on this field edge the coyotes would always hang up in the timber along the field edge and not come any closer. So tonight I hung my caller about 150 yards back in the timber before the field and I set up in a brushpile on the field edge. I started off with a woodpecker distress for 10 minutes then I switched to female invitation howls. After about the 6th howl I caught this guy sneaking in. He was about 80 yards away trotting when the Tikka 3 put him down. Overall, it was a blast!!

DSCN0725.JPG

Awesome story and congrats on the coyote! I too just bought a Tikka T3. Great guns... Hopefully I can get one of these wary North Dakota coyotes to make a fatal mistake before the hides get all rubbed up.

I love it when crazy stuff happens, I have had an owl land on a branch six inches above my head when calling yotes. Got an up close and personal view of those large talons. Nice work!

Good shooting Mike. I still haven't gotten out again since a a month ago, just too much white sh*t to walk in to set up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JaketheRipper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well done.</div></div>

hoofline.gif

Nice yote LIV, Congrats! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming an iowawhitetail PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Details Here!&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

Top Bottom