Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Creating cover

huntdoc

Got a small backyard pond that we co-own with other neighbors, basically a retention pond to prevent flooding. My family is pretty much only ones that fish it much, has bass and bluegill. One neighbor actually feeds the fish day old bread and really fattens them up! Anyhow, was thinking about sinking old Christmas tree or two to create some cover plus concentrate gills to icefish over during winter. Any hints or tips in doing it right or wrong? Should they go in deeper part? Pond goes up and down a lot, deep part is only 7 feet now but will be 12 feet when full first half of summer. Thanks.

If there isnt much cover in it then it doesnt matter too much where you put it, the fish will come to the cover. If theres a deeper part that is easy to fish from the shore then thats where id drop the trees. Kids cant cast as far as us adults so the closer to shore the better. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Just my opinion though.

id put it in the deepest part in several locations, for several reasons,

but the major one, is the deeper part of the pond will produce the most oxygen during ice, especially if there is some cover/vegetation. xmas trees and the stuff that grows on them after they have been in the water for a while will produce oxygen especially when the fish need it. too much ice and snow will promote winter kill, having something sunk in the pond to help with that is a good call.

just my 2 cents....
good luck
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Keep in mind that christmas trees do not last very long. Within a couple years you are down to a trunk and a few of the larger branches. If you put a few christmas trees in the same spot every year it will remain good as the remains will create a pile of criss-crossed sticks. You will have better luck in the short term with cedars if you can get them.

I too would put them in the deeepest part of the pond if it is only 12 feet. It probably doesn't stratify and the fish can use them year round.

Thanks for the tips! Any good suggestions on how to sink them? Can I use any pallets? Bet neighbor guy could get some from work, just don't know how to keep em on the bottom.

A few cinder blocks should do the trick. Make sure you tie them to it though... any pallet should do the trick... nothing made of wood will last forever, but, it should last for a long time. You could also tie a bunch of used tires together and sink them in about a foot or two of water.. The panfish will like to spawn in them. Dnr uses a lot of tires and stake-beds. You could also just pile up a bunch of used concrete or cynder blocks on top of the ice and make rock piles on the bottom after ice melt.

Top Bottom