Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crossbow Survey

I guess I could care less if crossbows were allowed into the regular bow season. About the only thing I would limit on them is they wouldn't be able to use a scope unless it was permitted in a firearm only season. I Don't really see how a crossbow is that much easier, if you have problems with deer seeing you when you try to draw your bow, I would seriously check you tree stand set up. If crossbows truly are like a gun, then I wish half of the bow shooting population used them. It would lead to alot less wounded deer a year for the people who already are to lazy to shoot their bow enough to make a good shot. I guess im not scared to let them into the regular season in fear that all the big bucks are gonna get shot. I also would bet that most of you can shoot just as good as one of these so called lazy crossbow shooters can right now with your bows.If a guy shot a world record typical with a crossbow right now why wouldn't he be allowed into the record books, the current non-typical and typical are shot with a muzzleloader and a rifle. Is a crossbow better than those? Sure there would be a world-record archery, and a world record crossbow, but I don't see the big deal. I honestly do not believe that a crossbow hunter has anything over me, that I do not have with my bow. It sounds as if everyone thinks crossbow hunters are gonna be far superior than your own hunting capabilities. Do you guys really think that a crossbow hunter is gonna go out in the woods and show you how to shoot a big buck? I highly doubt it, look through the harvest report.
grin.gif
Since I am in the minority, I will conform to the norm and say ban them all except for the disabled so nobody bites my head off.
waytogo.gif

I'll start this by saying that I got a permit this year from KS, which says I can use a crossbow because I have a perminant disability. I bought a nice crossbow and have been shooting it for a few months now. Since few of you have any hands on experience shooting a crossbow, let me clarify a few things.

1. Nobody would choose a crossbow because they are easier than a compound. If they do they'll be disappointed. Even at close ranges they are not as accurate as a compound. In learning to shoot a compound, we all learned how important it is to have a consistant anchor. Imagine how difficult that would be without having a specific spot on your face to make sure it touches. That's a crossbow. It's extreemly difficult to have consistant shots when you can't have a consistant anchor.

Can I put all of my arrows in an 8 inch circle at 25 yards? yes. Is it as accurate as my compound? nowhere near.

Beyond 25 yards, not only is the bow even less accurate and consistant, but the energy has dropped to the point that even if I can hit, I can't kill a deer with it.

People making comments like "80 yards shots" have no first hand knowledge. There is a lot of difference between hitting a target and killing a deer at the same distance.

2. The crossbow is a LOT louder than a compound. I haven't shot at a deer yet with the crossbow, but have no doubt that deer will be MUCH more likely to jump the string. It's almost like a .22 going off, in terms of sound.

It may be "locked and loaded" but let me assure you, it the Dr. is ever able to repair my shoulder so I can shoot a compound again, I'll do it in a heartbeat. The disadvantages of a crossbow far outweigh the advantages for any hunter, not just the physically challenged. Saying crossbow hunters have an advantage over compound users is simply wrong because there are more DISADVANTAGES than advantages. JMHO.

Matthew

My handicapped buddy from MN has one and he tells me he can group bolts inside a .50c piece at 40 yards all day and so can anyone else at the archery range that shoots it. 8 inches low at 40 and dead on flat to 35 yards. I dont have any experience with crossbows, but would like to see the weapon limited to those with a disability during bow season. I am an IBA member.

1. No crossbow in archery season except for the disabled

2. No crossbow only season

3. No crossbow in muzzy season

4. Crossbow added as a weapon in firearm season would be ok, I feel that a firearm would be superior so not to many would use the crossbow.

5. Great idea

6. An open discussion with the DNR is always a good idea on issues like this, as long as both sides are open minded.

Highjumper, I haven't been shooting my crossbow for that long, so I might get to the point where I am more accurate. However, from what I've seen so far, a 50 cent peice at 40 yards is REALLY something to brag about. I'd like to see that and maybe get some pointers.

Much more important than the accuracy though is the energy still in the bolt and broadhead at that range and they simply don't have the energy to still make a consistant kill at that range. If you can shoot a compound at longer ranges and hit what you are shooting at, there is enough energy for consistant kills. Not the case with a 15 or 18 inch crossbow bolt.

If your buddy can get that consistancy there must be something I'm missing. I was moderately accurate with a compound and can shoot a rifle but the crossbow is a bit tougher for me. I can hit inside an 8 inch circle at 40 yards, but that's about as good as it gets.

Matthew

Highjunper

I don't know your buddy or his abilities, but I question the 50cent grouping all day for anyone who shoots this crossbow. I like and shoot my Knight rifle a lot and I wouldn't want to bet a $100.00 bill that I could group it in a 50 cent peice off hand all day every day and I am absoultly certain that a stranger to the gun could not do it! I don't know if you can even bench rest a cross bow but I'm guessing even that would not attain that kind of groups for me or the average shooter. I don't really want to further the debate, but I also don't want people making decissions based on miss or exsagerated information. I know that I have shot lifesavers with my primative bows at 15 yards but I sure can't do it all the time, and I think that is more the case with most claims of accuracy with any thing. Please don't take offence this is just my opinion and experience.

I've been watching this thread for several days and it is nice to hear from the guys who have actually used a X-bow. Their views are very noteworthy and to me provide a realistic view of what hunting with a X-bow is all about.

Personally, since I hunt deer with every currently legal weapon, I'd be for anything that provided more opportunities for Iowa hunters to hunt deer.

1. Crossbow in archery season? YES

2. Give crossbow their own season ? MAYBE

3. Add crossbow to ML season? NO, becasue it is not a "fit".

4. Add crossbow to regular gun season? NO becasue it is not a "fit".

5. Leave crossbow as weapon for the physically challenged only? NO

6. Have an open and honest discussion with DNR about their thoughts and our concerns on the crossbow issue? YES

I haven't actually chronoed the crossbow, but mine is rated at 270 FPS.I have seen them rated as high as 325 FPS. They lose that speed much faster than a compound though.

Matthew

This was a post I made on the PMA section a while back.

This is always a touchy subject, and always rubs me the wrong way. The expansion of crossbow seasons is a bonus to the sport of hunting. Crossbows enable children at a younger age to start hunting and learning archery and hunting basics. Crossbows also are an option for men and women who want to hunt even though they may not have enough time to practice with a finicky bow.

I wonder if people made such a fuss when people started shooting compound bows?

Crossbows negatives are:

1 Truly a one shot weapon
2 Extremely noisy making it a 35 yard weapon, because of deer ducking.
3 The best crossbows drop 5’-6’ feet at 60 yards
4 Don’t shoot faster than the fastest compound bows.
5 Will deflect off a stick or a vine just like a compound.
6 Hard to shoot around a tree because of the horizontal limbs.
7 Not as much fun to shoot as a regular bow.
8 The way fellow bow hunters view, and treat fellow hunters that use crossbows.

Crossbow benefits are

1 Good crossbows stay consistent 0-30 yards with minimal practice.
2 You don’t have to pull it back at the moment of truth.
3 A great early introduction to the great sport of hunting, and a great tool for the elderly.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regardless of the weapon of choice, its ultimately up to the individual hunter to prepare himself/herself to make an ethical decision about their shooting capabilities.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right on Ghost

Update: I have been seriously been contemplating buying a Mathews recently, because it is more fun. I am scared I will sink a grand into a bow and not be able to shoot it, but I may be do it any way.

And for the record before my accident in 1996 I shot competition and I do not find shooting a deer with a bow any more challenging with a bow than a crossbow, they both require the same ingredients , range wind and shooter ability.
I have never had a problem in the past drawing on a deer, I never used one of those bow hooks the bow was always in my hand, and I was ready with my release hooked before the moment of truth.

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if people made such a fuss when people started shooting compound bows?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, as a matter of fact there was a great deal of controversy back in the early days of the compound bow. Most traditional bow hunters were strongly against introducing the compound bow for hunting purposes.

I still remember a quote that a friend of mine made when I told him back in the late 70’s that I was thinking about getting a compound bow: “cables, pulleys, sights, finger tab be damned, that’s not bow hunting”.

To this day my friend shoots a recurve bow, cedar arrows, no sights, and releases with his fingers. He is one heck of a good shot.

I did notice several years ago that he had added a set of string silencers to the bow……….but I didn’t mention it.
grin.gif

Top Bottom