Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crossbows

A lot of people that never bow hunted have went down and bought crossbows and have started hunting here in my state. Since the state has allowed crossbow hunting, I have seen many people that are not safe while out hunting. I have seen 3 people on one quad with loaded crossbow going thru a chiseled plowed field at about20 MPH. If the young boy on the front rack had fell off, or if the bow had fired for some reason, things would not have been good. This along with no hunting wisdom is going to give archery hunting a bad rap. Archery hunting has no place for crossbows in my mind. I am 77 and still use a compound set at 56# to hunt deer, and toalty enjoy the woods and hunt every time I get in my stand.

A lot of people that never bow hunted have went down and bought crossbows and have started hunting here in my state. Since the state has allowed crossbow hunting, I have seen many people that are not safe while out hunting. I have seen 3 people on one quad with loaded crossbow going thru a chiseled plowed field at about20 MPH. If the young boy on the front rack had fell off, or if the bow had fired for some reason, things would not have been good. This along with no hunting wisdom is going to give archery hunting a bad rap. Archery hunting has no place for crossbows in my mind. I am 77 and still use a compound set at 56# to hunt deer, and toalty enjoy the woods and hunt every time I get in my stand.
We’re all in this together we’re all hunters and must stick together and support the hunting sports so they can survive.

We’re all in this together we’re all hunters and must stick together and support the hunting sports so they can survive.
[/QUOTE
You must of been awful close to see a Xbow loaded going across a plowed field even if you had binoculars with it bouncing like that it would be tough for me anyways

Does that mean we must support rifles in the rut since it is a hunting sport? How about night vision hunting? There are always lines to be drawn for the good of the sport and the game animal. I agree with oldman570 that a good line is keeping crossbows out of the archery season (unless you are disabled).

Does that mean we must support rifles in the rut since it is a hunting sport? How about night vision hunting? There are always lines to be drawn for the good of the sport and the game animal. I agree with oldman570 that a good line is keeping crossbows out of the archery season (unless you are disabled).
Well I have neighbors that shoot Xbow I haven’t noticed the difference over 30 year size of bucks in area or deer in general you can shoot only so many deer per year per DNR tell the DNR to quit selling so many deer licenses in Iowa than if you think Xbow hunters & vertical hunters are doing that much damage to the herd I can tell you EHD has a bigger impact on the herd than xbow hunters, don’t figure

As someone who relocated from Wisconsin, I can say letting Xbow into archery has had a negative affect on the deer herd in Wisconsin. Now with that being said Wisconsin does every single thing wrong when it comes to managing a whitetail herd not just allowing Xbows in archery.

I've been an avid bow hunter for over 50 years, from recurve to longbow to compound. I was always against the push for crossbows to be legal with the exception of handicap individuals. I've noticed the past couple years more and more archers have switched, especially the younger hunters. I did have to revert to a crossbow two years ago due to my age and a shoulder injury. I do not gun hunt due to idiots and don't feel it's fair chase to shoot a deer 200+ yards away. That being said I will hunt the gun season with a crossbow, compared to guns they do have to be in close proximity (50 yards or less) and reduce the risk of wounding a deer. Then again, I hunt rural areas with smaller blocks of timber mixed farmland. Gets a little dangerous with housing developments popping up to use a firearm around me is another reason not to gun hunt. I liked it when you had to have a doctor's excuse to use a crossbow, needs to go back to that!

• Deleted by 203ntyp
Show…
In same breath… MN hunters are raising hell for seeing no deer!!!!! Blaming wolves. Which- sure, im sure that’s a part of it along with liberal doe Harvests of the past. But they screaming from the rooftops about the constant problems & then they go throw this horse crap into archery - further degrading MN’s herd & adding to the problems.
Can’t fix stupid. Or sell outs. Or corrupt lobbying groups.
As they discuss “%’s” in different part of MN’s deer season…. One % we should account for…. The increase in % of MN hunters that will flee to iowa to leave their broken state. Their problem becomes our problem in a way. If we let the flood gates open - massive amount of MN’s hunters would just bag that state & hunt iowa every year!! & i feel bad for the hard core hunters up there that care. Fighting a broken system & a state run by Minneapolis. What a waste.

Here’s an idea for u guys…. The southern counties of MN…. Succeed & join iowa!!! Instantly have our regulations & everyone could experience a well managed balanced resource!!! ;)
Not relating xbows to no deer BUT…. When y’all got a problem- why would u throw gas on it to make it worse with xbows?!?!?! ….. oh ya- u all are run by liberals. :)

In same breath… MN hunters are raising hell for seeing no deer!!!!! Blaming wolves. Which- sure, im sure that’s a part of it along with liberal doe Harvests of the past. But they screaming from the rooftops about the constant problems & then they go throw this horse crap into archery - further degrading MN’s herd & adding to the problems.
Can’t fix stupid. Or sell outs. Or corrupt lobbying groups.
As they discuss “%’s” in different part of MN’s deer season…. One % we should account for…. The increase in % of MN hunters that will flee to iowa to leave their broken state. Their problem becomes our problem in a way. If we let the flood gates open - massive amount of MN’s hunters would just bag that state & hunt iowa every year!! & i feel bad for the hard core hunters up there that care. Fighting a broken system & a state run by Minneapolis. What a waste.

Here’s an idea for u guys…. The southern counties of MN…. Succeed & join iowa!!! Instantly have our regulations & everyone could experience a well managed balanced resource!!! ;)
Not relating xbows to no deer BUT…. When y’all got a problem- why would u throw gas on it to make it worse with xbows?!?!?! ….. oh ya- u all are run by liberals. :)

Data please I’m not a big fan of Xbows but it’s up to the DNR to manage the deer herd put the blame where it belongs.
I’m saying the hunters are complaining on many fronts. Blaming lack of deer & quality on wolves. Now - there’s a lot of issues MN hunters face & why their retention is down (happy to provide data there). The crossbows were introduced for the first time this year for able-bodied folks in ARCHERY season. So- no data yet. But we’ve seen this movie in other states & know how it ends… “Buyers remorse” in WI & crowding archery season with guys from gun season. Hunters quitting & lack of access to quality land going down. Again- data on that as well. My fav is MI where they gave everyone EVERYTHING- crossbows included….. 1/3rd of hunters quit in last 20 years. Make hunting quality suck & make it impossible to get onto decent quality land - we know how this goes. ONE of MANY reasons this happened was the crossbow companies hiring lobbyists & buying politicians to get it passed without hunter voice/vote in vast majority of cases…. MN included.

I’m saying the hunters are complaining on many fronts. Blaming lack of deer & quality on wolves. Now - there’s a lot of issues MN hunters face & why their retention is down (happy to provide data there). The crossbows were introduced for the first time this year for able-bodied folks in ARCHERY season. So- no data yet. But we’ve seen this movie in other states & know how it ends… “Buyers remorse” in WI & crowding archery season with guys from gun season. Hunters quitting & lack of access to quality land going down. Again- data on that as well. My fav is MI where they gave everyone EVERYTHING- crossbows included….. 1/3rd of hunters quit in last 20 years. Make hunting quality suck & make it impossible to get onto decent quality land - we know how this goes. ONE of MANY reasons this happened was the crossbow companies hiring lobbyists & buying politicians to get it passed without hunter voice/vote in vast majority of cases…. MN included.
They all have lobbyists Iowa bow hunter association has DNR in the club members So if you don’t like what you see contact your legislators all political buddy .

They all have lobbyists Iowa bow hunter association has DNR in the club members So if you don’t like what you see contact your legislators all political buddy .
I agree to contact them. 100%. A lot of states didn’t have hunter groups to counter special interests OR…. Crossbow lobbyists & sell out politicians “snuck it through” without the chance. Or against hunter wishes like MO did. It’s corrupt politics 101 & what disgusts people about special interests buying what the want for policy.

I agree to contact them. 100%. A lot of states didn’t have groups to counter special interests OR…. Crossbow lobbyists & sell out politicians “snuck it through” without the chance. Or against hunter wishes like MO did. It’s corrupt politics 101 & what disgusts people about special interests buying what the want for policy.
I agree to contact them. 100%. A lot of states didn’t have groups to counter special interests OR…. Crossbow lobbyists & sell out politicians “snuck it through” without the chance. Or against hunter wishes like MO did. It’s corrupt politics 101 & what disgusts people about special interests buying what the want for policy.
Yes sir

Top Bottom