Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crow or Owl call?

simplesimon

Just wondering which one if not both calls do you have success with locating turkey? For me it is the owl call but I dont have alot of sucess with it. I usually find them on the roost the night before and then go in.

157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

i use owl in the morning and at dusk to locate or roost. mid day i use crow. a crow call will work a lot of times when an owl call won't work also.

I have never had any luck with those calls. Last year while scouting before season I got the most gobbles when I would slam my truck door. The turkeys were just shock gobbling at the sound of the door slamming shut. This was before daylight on a crisp morning so they were gobbling their heads off anyway, I am not sure how it would work any other time though.

I might try that Bowhunt! If i could find a call that makes thundering sounds then I would have it made. Everytime I have been in the woods and it was thundering they gobbled there heads off.

157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

I agree with dirtball-thunder works. Besides that Im similar to muddy in that I use an owl hooter in the morning and evening and a crow call in the morning and around midday.

train whistle works real good too. just a little unpredictable when it is going to sound off. owl call works the best for me. I leave the truck too early to have much luck with the door.

Try a hawk scream call that also gets them fired up. It's a good mid day call for a location that is hunted hard by crow callers.

Just like some others have said, I use the owl late in the day and early in the morning and the crow during the day.
Most of the time I am scouting I try to sneek to a spot where I can watch them roost and not even have to use a locator.
I usually get out there really, really early.....so truck doors don't work for me either!
grin.gif

Usually don't use locator calls unless I am unfamiliar with the ground however have had great success in South Dakota with a duck and goose call. I do use a crow call once in a while.

I save the owl hoot for the competition at the rendezvous...
busted.gif

A goose call would be an excellent choice if alot of geese frequent the area, last year on the river bottom during the middle of the day i was sitting there bored as heck hadnt heard a gobble in ages, then i heard a pair of geese flying down the river just a honking away then all the sudden one sounded and as they flew closer more sounded then all the way down the river as they passed it was just tom after tom shock gobbling to those geese. it was awesome, i never thought of a goose call

Top Bottom