Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CVA POWERBELT BULLETS

I used the platinums this past year in CO on a cow elk hunt. Put the elk down within 30 yards on a 50 yard shot. I couldn't get the regular aero tips to group but the platinum was a 6" group at 75yds with iron sights in a shooting vice. I'm shooting a 50 cal TC Encore. For whitetails in IA though, I found 100gr 777 and barnes mz expander is the most accurate combo for my gun.

Just asking, can you actually return bullets to the store? Cause if you can, I got a whole box full of them from testing different brands......

I shot a deer at 140 yards with the aero tip powerbelt.

contrary to your experience i've actually had the bullet fragment to much, but that was on a shoulder shot at 90 yards.

the deer at 140, which was a broadside vital shot, also fragmented too much for my liking.

I also run 100 grains of 777 through my .50 cal T/C encore.

I havent' had an issue with the grouping out of my .50 T/C Omega with 100 grains of 777, but after reading a lot about loads on this site i will be trying a loose powder and saboted bullet set up this year.

I have killed several deer the last three years with them They have grouped pretty good out of a Knight and a CVA. I have heard alot of complaints but they work for me.

my CVA has grouped the 245 gr aerotips amazing. All my 100 yard groups have been under 2". Not amazing but that is out of an Optima.

No complaints for me. The deer that have been whacked by me have had serious issues. BUT I have always had crappy blood trails.

Wouldn't shoot worth a sheet out of my CVA optima pro but my kids Rossi was dead on at 100 yds...go figure. I have had guys say they like them. Gotta use them in CO last I knew as sabots aren't allowed there and this is what helps sell them, as technically they are not a sabot. I like the T/C or Hornady but I can't think of their grain weight. The T/C has a yellow polymer tip and the Hornady has a red polymer tip. They are the same exact .50 cal sabot to a tee except for color of tips and both shoot exactly the same out of my gun....Fantastic!!!
Which brings up something that most muzzleloaders will never try; ditch the 50 gr premeasured loads and use loose powder to find out what your gun likes the best. Mine has a real liking for loose Triple 7 powder in 90 grains.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hardcorehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which brings up something that most muzzleloaders will never try; ditch the 50 gr premeasured loads and use loose powder</div></div>

No point in trying my gun already shoots very well with the premeasured loads, why mess with a good thing /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Powerbelts=suck!...grouped okay but they never expanded well in deer, seemed to just blow right through...have to go with the Barnes Spitfire TMZ's...amazing accuracy, expansion, and weight retention...I've got one I shot a buck with and it lost only one petal because I tore it the rest of the way off...I'll get a pic up if I can find it...BARNES IS THE WAY!

I love powerbelts they expand like crazy and I have never lost a deer after hitting one with them. I have probably shot about 15-20 with them. They literally blow up inside of deer, and they shoot great out to 200yds and beyond. I shoot the 195 grain aero-tips with 150grains 777 45 caliber. Other people hate them, but I have had goodluck with them.

They dont like the cold weather. Buddy of mine missed to giant because the plastic jacket didnt expand due to cold weather. 100gr 777 245gr powerbelt. 150 class 8 point broadside at 50 yards.
Rock solid rest looking through Nikon 3x9x40. gun goes boom bullet hits about 5 feet short. went to the range same effect. put bullets in truck on the defrost warmed them up and damn they shot great out to a 100 yards. holes touching. but when cold they wouldnt hit the target at 50 yards. I watched a whole package of those go flying in the brush.

They shoot pretty well out of my optima. I shoot them with 100gr of Pyrodex and they group well enough for my liking with open sights.

Dean

Top Bottom