Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CWD in Missouri!!!

Here is my idea, everyone who thinks that this is a bad idea, contact all of your legislatures on this, the ones who want it banded, contact your legislatures. Isn't this what the IBA wants us to do when there is a bill brought up that "we" do not like?

quote:"So CWD aside, is that map of deer density worng?"

I would say that deer density map is WAY OFF. I don't think it takes into account how much of each square mile is actually deer habitat. I think what they are showing there is an overall deer population divided by the square miles and not taking into account how much of the area is actually deer habitat. In parts of IA and western states, in some places the area is devoid of deer because there are vast areas with little or no cover to "hold" whitetails. Or, the deer are concentrated in what available cover there is. In my experience though, places where there is enough cover to hold whitetails, the densities are much higher in IA than around here. I believe the same is true in many western states.

It appears to me the maps are county by county. I don’t know how much smaller the densities/sq.mi figures can go. Township by township? Acre by acre? It is the standardized method of mapping deer densities and the basis for all decisions.
In another thread there was a map of Iowa with forest areas highlighted, it would be interesting to overlay the density map and see how it correlates. If you did the same with Wisconsin I would expect the greater densities to be in the more forested areas of the north.
The 'Bonker

Here is my idea, everyone who thinks that this is a bad idea, contact all of your legislatures on this, the ones who want it banded, contact your legislatures. Isn't this what the IBA wants us to do when there is a bill brought up that "we" do not like?

Nanny
For the first time since I've started going to statehouse for the IBA, we have an issue where the IBA will just stay neutral. Might sound like a cop out but it really is about 50/50, so everyone must make their own decision.
Below is a personal letter I sent to some DNR people and legislators

Now that the legislative session is winding down and everyone has had an opportunity to state their feelings and opinions on the deer feeding/ baiting legislation, perhaps now is a good time to step back and look at the big picture. Are we really concerned with the State’s number one natural resource, deer, or are we only concerned with our own small corner of the world?

If the DNR Wildlife Bureau Chief and the State Veterinarian think this legislation is a good idea, maybe we should be paying more attention. One of these men I know, and I can say with no reservation that his #1 concern is our natural resources. It’s not about the money; it’s not about taking away your personal enjoyment. It’s ALL about the deer herd. This is a very tough issue and it takes a lot of courage to tackle it. These two gentlemen need commended for taking a stand. There is some language that needs clarification, but those issues should be addressed before final legislation.

Iowa isn’t the only state considering legislation to disallow baiting & feeding. Wisconsin and Minnesota are pushing for baiting feeding bans as well. There are critics and supporters in all three states.

There is some misinformation floating around. This legislation will not affect agricultural practices in any matter and food plots will still be allowed.

Other states in the Midwest have been forced to spend millions of dollars in an effort to eradicate CWD, BTB and other diseases from their deer herd. Our state is attempting to be proactive in preventing these diseases and their potential propagation. In these tough economics times funding to fight this would have to come from other DNR programs and there aren’t any unallocated funds available.

IDNR has done a super job of taking deer tissue samples in NE Iowa. Since 2002 they have tested 4,000 deer per year. No other state comes close to that level of testing; they take the CWD issue very seriously. To date we are disease free. Heaven forbid if some day we have positive tests.

For the last few years we have had many complaints about the shooting of shed bucks in the late season. That will pale in comparison to what will happen if CWD hits Iowa. If your county is placed within the DMZ, (Disease Management Zone) the deer herd will be reduced to as close to zero as possible. If you live in one of the border counties, it will most likely hit you first.

At the end of the day, how many people would give up deer hunting because they can’t place a mineral block or a pile of corn in front of a trail camera?

Is it worth the risk?

quote:"It appears to me the maps are county by county."

Yes, that is correct. But the same thing is still going on. I think they estimate the total number of deer in each county and then divide by the number of sq. miles in that county to get deer per sq. mile. So if a county has very little deer cover, it will have less deer in general and show up as a lower deer density on the map, but may still have much higher deer densities where the deer cover exists within that county.

quote:"For the last few years we have had many complaints about the shooting of shed bucks in the late season. That will pale in comparison to what will happen if CWD hits Iowa. If your county is placed within the DMZ, (Disease Management Zone) the deer herd will be reduced to as close to zero as possible. If you live in one of the border counties, it will most likely hit you first."

That will only happen if your DNR is as stupid as the WI DNR, which I don't think is true of any other state's DNR. In other states where CWD has been found they do not try to eradicate all their deer, they use common sense unlike the WDNR. Co. and Wy. have had CWD for decades and they have excellent deer herds. In my opinion, from my experience living and hunting here in the CWD Zone, and what I have learned about CWD, anyone who is worried now about what CWD will do to deer herds in their state or across the country will look back 10 years from now and wonder what the big deal ever was. The only reason CWD is a problem in WI is because our DNR decided to use it as an excuse to push their agenda. We are working hard on changing that and have made a lot of progress the last few years and more changes for the better are sure to be coming soon. We will be getting our deer hunting seasons and regulations back to where it was before they came up with the crap they've put us through the last 8 years.

I agree. I don't think the disease will,"Descimate" the deer herd. Michigan took the same appeoach to TB. Suddenly it became a big concern. Deer numbers in Northern Lower had to be reduced. You could buy a doe tag a day, for $4. I saw fawns and does laying in ditches left to rot. Some seasons later, a DNR loose tongue, admitted in a paper,, it was an opportunity to reduce deer numbers, that were already causing problems for motorists and Insurance companies. Diseases will become a problem if the Powers that be make it one. I may be wrong, but I think Not.

That will only happen if your DNR is as stupid as the WI DNR, which I don't think is true of any other state's DNR.

Ours are, as out Alberta's. Eradicate seems to be the playbook. I'm not a southern SK mule deer hunter but if you were to discuss the situation here with any serious mule deer from 200 miles south of me they would tell you that an area of our province larger than some entire states spent 2-3 yrs on the "eradicate" block and it has totally ruined hunting for the time being in those areas. Alberta went a step further and used helicopters for their eradication efforts. I personally feel that an eradication does very little in terms of ridding an area of cwd (you can't kill them all) but instead rids an area of quality deer in terms of size and numbers. However, my opinion and the opinion of many other hunters doesn't amount to a hill of beans when stacked up against special interest groups.

The only reason CWD is a problem in WI is because our DNR decided to use it as an excuse to push their agenda.
I don't really see that our dnr had an agenda, just followed a procedure that was "feel good" to some. Our deer numbers wouldn't be a drop in the bucket compared to many places therefore adequate habitat to support deer numbers wouldn't be an issue at all and such thing as insurance companies pushing a situation would pale in comaprison to say Wi. We've only got a million folks and an area with roadways as large as Texas so automobile collisions, though frequent, I'd guess would make insurance companies in say Ill. Ia. and Wi. think "We wish".

Just remember, not all hunters are ass passionate about the animals we persue as the people on this site and there are as many waiting in the wings looking for a chance to drag home as many bucks as they can stack in a truck. They can't see the forest through the trees. I think elkhunter wrote a great letter. To date, we can use minerals and food here despite the cwd. I'd far rather see them both removed than continued eradication efforts.

Last edited:
If they are going to ban feeding deer they need to ban food plots. I could careless about minerals. But when deer are starving to death they need food. If i want to thow out some corn or a bale of hay it shouldn't matter any mory then a 1/4 acre of corn alot of tounges will hit the same spot. If the deer are starving and I have a pine tree in my yard and have 8 deer all eating the same tree am I feeding deer and spreading disease. Its all another way of killing them all off by letting them starve.. Deer herd up in the winter and feed in the same spots. I watched a small little bean field get hammer this winter(a food plot) Then they moved to side hills beating the crap out of each other to get the grass. You cant tell me the will spread any more disease from a hay bale.

Its all another way of killing them all off by letting them starve..

I see it as Mother Nature's way. Whether we like it or not, they're wild animals...

Believe me, I've seen it, likely more than anyone that lives in IA.

Here again I say, if feeding deer spreads all terrible disease, then Texas should be filled with deer sickness. Where artificial feeding has been done for many years, on large scales, on Ranches, and Farms. I never hear that it is?

CWD confirmed in MI

:thrwrck:We had a captive heard in MI get CWD in 2007-2008. First thing the DNR did was ban baiting(thank GOD!) and issuued unlimited tags in that area. Never got another positive test from then on. :drink1:

You think Unlimited killing was a good thing? That was done in Northern Mi, before I left, and my friends up there say, they are hard pressed to find deer now. As far as Baiting,,Sugar beets and carrots are still for sale all over up there in the Fall? The diseases are almost always found in Captive Herds. They,,are what should be banned. I agree with the bait,"Piles", being banned. It got so bad that truck loads were dumped .

Top Bottom