Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CWD Vaccine??

That is great to try to control the CWD in farm raised herds, but I don't see much benefit in wild herds that have it now?

I thought the same thing, but there is a paragraph in the article that shows some hope for that as well.

"According to Dr. Wisniewski and his research team, if further vaccine experiments prove successful, a relatively small number of animals (as few as 10 percent) could be inoculated to induce herd immunity, in which disease transmission is essentially stopped in a much larger group."

I thought the same thing, but there is a paragraph in the article that shows some hope for that as well.

"According to Dr. Wisniewski and his research team, if further vaccine experiments prove successful, a relatively small number of animals (as few as 10 percent) could be inoculated to induce herd immunity, in which disease transmission is essentially stopped in a much larger group."

In order for herd immunity to occur, an estimated 80-90% (depending on the source, and assuming vaccines actually work) of the population would need to be immunized. 10% would do nothing to prevent outbreaks

That may be true. I know next to nothing about diseases, just quoting the person that does.

Maybe the thought is that the non immunized animals die of the disease, and the immunized survive to pass the immunity on to their offspring. Eventually all animals would have the immunity. I don't know, I'm just trying to reason out what the researcher is saying.

Top Bottom