Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Da' Moon

homerj

Without going into great detail. How closely do you guys and gals follow the moon phases come bow season? Little discussion here at work today, and I'm just curious.

I follow them really closely. I like first and last quarter moons. A few years ago I bought one of those moon phase dials which tells the best times and places for deer movement, and it was surprisingly accurate. That being said, I’ll go hunting anytime.
smile.gif

I would never plan a hunt based on the moon, all my hunts are any free chance I can get in the woods. any given day can be the best day of the year, its all about how much time you put into the stand, if you ask me. I've seen way to many people fall into the moon charts and not go hunting because it predicted bad deer movement. The deer are always there, it's up to us to find them
smile.gif

I'm with Liv, I put absolutely no stock into the moon, I hunt whenever I get the chance to go out, that's the bottom line. I'd say too many of us put too much stock into things we have no control over, we have control over one thing, getting our arses into the woods, after that it's a crap shoot. I think we're starting to make hunting big whitetails way too complicated.

Outdoor Life has a good article on their Web site that talks with Terry Drury about his use of the moon. The Drury boys own land west of Osceola and that's where many of their video hunts take place.

The article is at:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/hunting/whitetails/article/0,19912,699613,00.html

(the commas seem to mess up the link so go to the home page and click on the "Good Moon Rising" article under "Hunting")
Sounds like the last week of October will be prime!!!

threebeards

I believe the moon has some type of effect, but there are so many other variables like weather I don’t place a great deal of stock in it. I wouldn’t pass up a chance to hunt because of the moon phase. About the only phase I pay any attention to is a full moon on a cloudless night during the rut – I will often look for good deer movement between 11:00 and 3:00 the next day(s) and I'm more apt to be in stand during that time.

I dont think the original question was regarding whether to hunt or not if the moon was in the right or wrong phase. I dont know know anyone who would give up a day to hunt because of the moon.

Read "MoonStruck" by Myles Keller if you would like some quality insight.

I agree with Fletch that moon phase has some impact, but many variables can change what the deer do, especially the weahter. Last season during a full moon, I hunted a stand from 10am to 2pm and saw 11 deer through out that time frame (two small bucks). When I see a big buck or hear a story about one, I record what phase the moon was in my journals. I like hunting the noon hour period during a full moon. Like Kat, I too bought those moon dials, but now I just get the phases off the net. OZ

Can't really speak for the individual moon phases themself,never kept track.But I do have alot of faith in The Hunters Moon,2nd Full Moon after the Fall Equinox.I have experienced some of my best hunting around this period over the years.

Moon schmoon, just go to your sweet spot and take one. Besides for every magazine article that says to hunt by the moon I can find three of them that say to pay no attention to it!

I've bowhunted for 22 years, and never really put much thought/effort into hunting around moon phases, until recently. I don't think it's the "end all be all" to your whitetail activity, but I do think it is worth looking into. I've researched a bit on the moon phase scenerio in relation to rutting activity... and it does warrant a look. Besides, it's something else to peak your interests... there is a nice little gadget out on the market made by Casio... it's a wristwatch that is programmable to your Lat/Long and keeps track of the moonage as well as sunrise/sunset times... also "predicts" prime game movement times throughout the day... now I get a lot of crap from my hunting buddies for wearing this... but what is funny, is the same guys will ask me "What does your watch say!"... worth the $39.00 or so it costs... makes a good hunting watch since it vibrates alarms.

Besides that, if you ask any avid fisherman about how the moon effects fish, you may be suprised... or simply grab your local police blotter! Anytime there is a full moon, any cop will tell you that is the time the "crazies" come out...
shocked.gif

Welcome to the site Pak!
grin.gif

What really makes sence to me is to hunt mid-day during the full moon. But like many others have previously said, I hunt whenever I can get in a stand!

Thank you sir! This is a great site... I try and check it out everyday! Can't wait until next year in IOWA!

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you sir! This is a great site... I try and check it out everyday! Can't wait until next year in IOWA!

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you considered upping your membership to PMA status?
grin.gif

I follow moon phases closer than anything. THere is a Calender available on Sportsmans Guide for around $9 and it has very good, reliable information for hunting. Check it out!

I think all these elements factor in, but I use just a couple things . Good scent control, use the wind, never never use a stand if conditions aren't perfect and stay all day if possible(Nov 1-15).
You just have to put in the time.Once sat 8 days straight from daylight to dark, and it all came together at the beginning of day 9, a 165 P&Y 10 pt.

As to what Pak said about the police officers. My wife is a dispatcher in Ottumwa, she has been a dispatcher for 8 years, she takes all the calls, and a full moon on humans definately has a LARGE effect.

To the subject, I have noticed later movement in deer during a full moon, but never let it hinder my presence in the woods. I truly feel you cannot connect if you dont make the opportunity. If feel if I worry about a full moon, I worry too much. Get out there and hunt, and forget about the moon!!!

Since 1980 I have studied and read about moon phases re: whitetail deer behavior.

While I profess to be no expert on moon phases I have for many years now believed the position of the moon directly affects whitetail behavior and other mammals as well as fish to some degree.

I am a Registered Nurse on an acute psychiatric ward. It is my opinion and the belief of many of my co-workers that the phase of the moon has a direct affect on mammal behavior. We have more admissions to the psychiatric ward during a full moon than any other time during the moon phases.

Having made the above statement however, I still hunt whitetails whenever I have the opportunity to get into the woods.

I have harvested deer when the moon phase said I should stay home!

Top Bottom