Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Daver scores!

Daver

PMA Member
1651104_Various_039-thumb.jpg

The bucks have been very active in the last couple of days, I have passed up 6 separate bucks in the past three days alone, 4 came in to rattling sequences. I have also seen several big ones after hours driving home and a couple out in broad daylight on the drive there. I also passed a 110†8 point that I rattled in tonight that was grunting every other step. We’ll see what he looks like next year. Now on to the main event…

Just a minute after sundown I had a doe lead a really big 9 point right in to me tonight. Short story, I missed him at 22 yards! Aaaarghh! He was all of 160â€, probably bigger. He was very wide, about 4†outside both ears and roughly 13†G2’s, looong brows and good mass. He was a beast with a huge body and very dark coat. I had him at full draw at 12 yards and needed him to take one more step when the doe skipped away and he abruptly changed directions and walked straight away from me. I wasn’t nervous, but I should have been counting his steps better for when he offered me the shot a few seconds later I made a snap distance judgment and then bumped it up a hair and promptly whistled an arrow over his back. I over-compensated for the distance, he kind of took me off guard with his sudden change of direction. Luckily though he didn’t know what happened for sure and kind of wandered around at borderline range for a few more minutes. I didn’t want to risk a poor hit on such a great animal so I didn’t try another shot and sat there in silence for a few minutes when it dawned on me I should get another arrow ready. It’s a good thing I did…

Just a couple minutes later in walks another nice buck, only smaller. He is also a nine, but about 30†the junior of the previous visitor. I was watching him for a few seconds when it dawned on me he was following the every footstep of the doe that led Mr. Big to me a few minutes earlier. Aha, we’re back in business!! If he follows the track exactly he will end up broadside at 14 yards in a perfect shooting window! Well let’s just say he followed the script perfectly and I mouth grunted to stop him and let the Muzzy fly. It was a perfect hit and I swear I could hear him squish blood with every bounce. He only took about five big bounces and then stood still… TIMBER! He’s down inside 50 yards and right where I can drive up to get him! PERFECT! When I field dressed him both lungs were perfectly skewered, he wasn’t going anywhere!

Although I am little bummed on missing the bigger buck I am still happy with this one. ( Not only that I still have my statewide anysex tag as I used my landowner tag on this guy. So the big boys are still not safe next weekend! ) I quickly rough scored him at about 135â€. 20†main beams, 10†G2’s, 8†G3’s, etc. He broke a small point off or he would have been a pretty cleanly matched 10 point. One down and one to go!

Head to the woods guys, the time is right now!! Good luck. I am still seeing the sight of Mr. Big at 12 yards though.

Attaboy, Daver. Sounds like you a some great spot to hunt. Hope Mr. Big comes by your stand again.

Way to hang tough. Take a range finder in with you and mark some landmarks so you get a better idea of your distances. Get back after that other buck, I want to see some more pictures. Good luck!

Top Bottom