Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Davis County

BOWDUDE

Well Friday I will be heading down to southern Iowa to get in my stand for the first time this year. I was wanting to know if anyone is seeing any good action around Unionville, Drakesville, or Bloomfield? I work and live in Des Moines and an currently adding some lighting on a nature trail in downtown Des Moines. I seen some nice rubs yesterday. Three does were camping out 50 yards from our trencher. I guess thats the difference between city and country deer. I can't wait till Friday.

This is a true story that just happened tonite. I was driving to Ottumwa at about 1am tonite and, as usual, had a deer in the highway....except I could tell it was a buck. I slowed down and he acted like I wasn't there and thought, what the heck is he doing?! Then I saw another dandy in the ditch....I mean, they were both 140-150s. Then they started fighting in the ditch and the highway....really going at it. So, as I got to Ottumwa, I saw another deer in a hayfield. This fella was a guaranteed Booner! He was huge! I would have to say the deer were on the move tonite! I saw more out of my car than I have out of my stand!

Well it looks like its going to cool down a little bit this weekend. possible rain Sunday maybe the deer will be moving Saturday evening or Sunday morning. I just don't see them moving during the day when its this warm.

Bowdude,

I know it's unusual but last fall I was eating lunch in a tree at noon. It was 72 degrees and sunny. Out of a draw runs a doe followed by a 150 class buck chasing. They ran up to my tree line and right down it. Buck stopped broadside 10 yards from me, then into the woods.

Problem was my bow was across the meadow 500 yards. I was out hiking while learning the area. I was warned not to put my bow down at any time while in Iowa. This year I will listen, regardless of time or temperature.

ZIM,

i HOPE YOUR LUNCH WAS SOMETHING SPECIAL. WELL I KNOW ITS GOING TO BE WARM SO I THINK TOMORROW I WILL HEAD TO THE STAND. BUT I THINK I WILL EAT BEFORE I GO.

Some area's of Davis Co. got hit pretty hard by bluetongue a couple years ago. A lot of big mature bucks we're found dead near ponds, where they went for water as they were dying. Lots of deer still, but the big boys may be scarce for a year or two.
Good luck,
PLK

I haven't been seeing much here in Davis County with respect to larger bucks, but have been seeing some small bucks bothering the does. I have been seeing a lot more rubs and scrapes the past week. We need some cooler temperatures to get these big guys moving. In addition to that, the deer are feeding on acorns and deer movement is slow due to the plentiful supply. The deer get out of their bedding areas and the food is ready and available so they aren't out roaming around much to eat. They don't reach the fields and/or food plots until well after dark. The nicest bucks I've seen on my Photo Scout pictures were taken between midnight and one a.m. I have the camera set up on a trail leading to an alfalfa field and the other leading to a huge Imperial Whitetail Clover food plot. One other thing, as PLK mentioned, EHD took its toll on the deer here in DC and I agree it has had a significant impact on the deer population and the reduced number of nice bucks in the area. This season of hunting will be better than last year's was, but I expect the next one to two years will be far better. Good luck!

The Weather Channel is saying snow showers and 35 for next weekend........FINALLY!!!

Well its the work week again. Seem like the weekend is over like a snap. Seen a couple of does from my deer stand Friday night. One looked pretty nervous I think mabye a buck had been chasing her. I watched her rub her tarsal glands together as she urinated over them and then licked them off. I thought mabye that means she is ready. I later read they doe that throughout yhe year. Saw a coulpe bucks Saturday morning, one decent one walked under my stand but it was not quite light enough to shoot. The other buck was a fork buck, he made me as I was making a mock scrape. I did here a 190 class buck wae taken down by Moravia. Well thats all I have.

OK YOU SEEN SOME DEER , IM THINKING OF DOING SOME FOX AND YOTE HUNTING AFTER DEER SEASON HAVE YOU SEEN ANY THING

Fox River,

Certainly are enough coyotes around our part of the state!! I had 3 coyotes run a dandy 10 point buck away from my stand Sunday morning. I missed getting revenge by a narrow margin, as I put an arrow about an inch over the back of one of the coyotes as he stood 25 yards from my stand. As this was a big mature deer, seeing something like this really makes me wonder just how many young deer we might lose to coyotes on an annual basis. Good Hunting!

NW BUCK,I GUESS WE AS HUNTERS NEED TO KEEP THEM IN CHECK. IM SURE THEY ARE TAKING THERE FAIR SHARE OF YOUNG DEER AS WELL AS OTHERS. THANK YOU......

Top Bottom