Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dead buck laws?

streitl

What is the law about finding dead bucks and keeping their rack? I have seen a few posts about it recently and then I saw it on a hunting video the other night too. Do you have to report it if you want to keep it? What about deer that have likely been poached?

It was put to me by the CO up here that salvage tags are for the whole deer, not just the antlers. I think they use much discression when they hand them out.

Yeah what ever you do don't move it before calling the DNR. I've had pretty good luck with them. Just call them and let them look the area and animal over.

Chris

If I have found em in the spring, all rotted. I have just grabbed em. I spose I could get in trouble with that.
confused.gif

Like moose said call the CO, but remember somehow it's technically the States Deer.

Basically meaning that if it's just a deer then they'll pretty much let you have it, especially if you hit it with your car...BUT if it's a monster buck, the State has the right to claim the rack.

I'm fairly sure it has everything to do with potential monetary value of large antlers...the state can't really tax a sale between private parties, so with large antlered bucks, the state just keeps them to prevent potential problems.

This gets back to the "where's all the confiscated Iowa DNR trophy deer antlers?" In theroy those racks should be available for public viewing.

At any rate, I certainly wouldn't move a "found" deer. You're asking for all sorts of troubles if you and get caught.

I have known guys to tool up and down the interstates with handsaws during the prerut just looking for dead auto killed deer. They have tons of racks from doing this. $3.00 a gallon gas has taken the fun out of that I am sure. I don't know the answer. I have cut off a few roadkill racks in my day; who hasn't.

I was told by a Woodbury & a Monona CO that you have to get a salvage tag & take the entire dead deer w/ you (no matter how rotted it is) - not just the antlers.

[ QUOTE ]
I have cut off a few roadkill racks in my day; who hasn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw a decent buck dead in the ditch many years ago and called the local CO. She said that dead deer are a food source for all kinds of critters and nature would take care of it, not to pick it up. Since then, knowing her view, I don't even bother to call or stop to look at road kill.

Last year I was headed up highway 1 around 5 am, heading to a treestand for a morning of bow hunting. I saw a very repectable dead buck in the ditch. I'm guessing easily a 150+ buck. I kept on going because: A) I knew the CO's view, B) the rack really wouldn't mean anything to me, as I did not shoot the deer, C) maybe some bow hunter shot it the previous evening and hadn't picked up the trail yet, D) I hate the way it looks when a headless deer lays along the side of the road. I feel it sends the wrong message to the public. It might have been fresh enough to get a salvage tag for, but I really didn't want the meat of an old buck, let alone if it had been hit by a vehicle. When I was headed home at 11:30 am, it was gone (the whole deer).

Top Bottom