Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dead cats

JNRBRONC

We had some "feral" cats move into the barn and I set up a feeder that the raccoons couldn't get to, hoping to keep some mousers around. Well, something has wiped them out, finding dead cats all around the place. Guessing parvo or distemper, whatever it is/was knocked the cats down. My hope is that it took out a few raccoons as well. Unfortunately, the ground hogs are still digging under the barn foundation, back to trapping them, never ending......

We had some "feral" cats move into the barn and I set up a feeder that the raccoons couldn't get to, hoping to keep some mousers around. Well, something has wiped them out, finding dead cats all around the place. Guessing parvo or distemper, whatever it is/was knocked the cats down. My hope is that it took out a few raccoons as well. Unfortunately, the ground hogs are still digging under the barn foundation, back to trapping them, never ending......

They were just dead, and not killed by something? Either way that stinks. It’s always nice to have some mousers around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were just dead, and not killed by something? Either way that stinks. It’s always nice to have some mousers around.

One was up in the hayloft, one on the barn step, found another inside of another building, none looked like they had been eaten on. One outdoor cat left as we had taken it to the vet to get fixed and vaccinated. Think the vaccine saved that one. Sometimes Tom cats will kill young that aren't theirs, not thinking this is the case here. Nature hates a void, sure other cats will move in. REALLY hoping the coons got whatever illness it was.

If you're around the property and saw the cats often, you would have noticed if they were sick with something, I'd think. Is it possible someone poisoned them?

If you're around the property and saw the cats often, you would have noticed if they were sick with something, I'd think. Is it possible someone poisoned them?
They were mostly feral and the only time I saw them was when they were running away from me on certain occasions. They were not friendly enough to pet or hang around people. I used to have a cam on the elevated feeder to make sure coons weren't eating all the cat food I was putting out. When I got the feeder tweaked so that only cats were using it, I took down the camera so I never saw sick cats on camera. I doubt someone intentionally poisoned them. Thinking more on this, the ones I have found dead were young cats, so the Killer Tom theory is growing stronger in my mind.

My wife’s side has organic farm. They used to take in every cat they could find. Some food & plenty of shelter. Unlimited prey. They lost them faster than they could keep getting new ones. Constantly dead cats all over. Maybe that’s fighting with mean old tom cats or other animals killing em or maybe it’s disease. They finally gave up on em. & to be honest - I was surprised with how fast cats breed. They died off. & ya- I love to pheasant hunt there so I shed no tears on the cats going by by.
That is weird though. Places with mouse poison have to take cats out too. If u finding em like that- almost has to be disease, poison or other cats killing eachother. Hmmmmm. Murder mystery. Maybe a mountain lion made your barn home?!?!

I hear those talking about how destructive feral cats can be on local fauna. I spent 45 years of my life taking out every one I encountered by (m)any means available. They must reproduce quite quickly if they can handle all the pressures on them. Need to find a groundhog plague to introduce. :)

Had a guy tell me this past weekend about Bobcat Fever wiping out all of his cats once. I'd never heard of it until he mentioned it. Don't know anything about it, but might be worth researching the indications.

Top Bottom