Decoy question

IArunner

Has anyone ever tried stuffing or mounting a hen turkey as a decoy before? I would think it would very effective, but money has kept me for doing it. What do ya think?

Would probably be great, but transporting and safety issues would be enough for me to go with what the market has to offer

I would love to have one. In the Hunters Specialties video they use them exclusively. They are mounted hens from the world champion cally morris. Hazel creek taxidermy is his business name and it is located in Missorri somewhere. I think they run $300-400 each but if it lasted a lifetime that is alot of turkey hunting for the money. I am seriously thinking about getting one eventually.

chris

I'm having one mounted right now. I'm trading a nonresident taxidermist a spring turkey hunt for the mount. Of course he wants to use it while were hunting this spring. I'll post pictures when he gets it done.

Won't they be a royal beetch to carry around in the timber? I would rather have it in the house to look at that drag it around beating it up?
confused.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Same with me Skully.....but they do look like they work very good in some of the hunting videos that I have seen them in, I just can't see myself spending that much money for a "decoy" even though they may work better. My Cabela's decoy work just fine
laugh.gif

I think most of the guys that use them don't cart them around much, one general setup area and sit all day, which can be very effective. I just don't know if I could drop 400 bucks on a decoy when the 20 dollar ones work just fine, I think I would rather have the tom mounted that I shot over the 20 dollar coy.

I have wanted to do it since I do my own taxidermy but I am not sure if it is legal in IA? i also want to do either a srutting jake or tom!

How about simply doing a tail fan(which are easy to do yourself), attach it to a stick and place it behind your jake decoy??

Even have the string attached for movement to huh? Was that a struttin jake or what did you do for the wing tips?

Limb

I think I am going to have to try what you did there with my Buckwing, looks sweet, just curious how the setup worked

Blaster, that is what I was afraid of, that one might only get put out where I have exclusive hunting rights!!!

Back