Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Decoys

OK I've been thinking about giving one a try this year. Then I just watched Stan Potts on Dominate Bucks telling how great they work.

Sooo, the question is.. What's your favorite buck decoy? And why?

i have the new carry lite decoy. I like that is light. I also like the looks of the boss buck but its a little bit to big.

I'll sell you my Bucky Jr. decoy cheap, that tells you how much luck I've had with decoys:rolleyes:

It's a toss up, if you have a big buck that hangs up with a decoy you say "if I didn't have a decoy he would have come right in" Or if you don't have a decoy and a big buck hangs up you say "man, if I had a decoy he would have come right in"

One more big thing to carry

The last buck I killed was shot about 15 seconds after destroying my decoy. I've also had them mess me up though. Just make sure you set it up in a way that it doesn't surprise the deer. I have had a decoy for three years, I probably use it 20% of the time. It's a PAIN to carry in!

I only use mine on big open fields or open timber with several crossings. I use the Flambeau Boss Buck. I've never killed a buck over one but then again I've only used it a couple of times. I've had little bucks come running into it but have never had an encounter with a mature buck with the decoy out, so I don't know how a mature buck reacts with it. I took the antlers off of it a couple years ago in late November and 5 does came into it and I smoked one of them. So, it has 1 kill under its belt, just no bucks.

Its just nice to have to switch things up a bit and to do things out of the ordinary. Biggest reasons I don't use one more? They're big, they can be loud if you don't pack it in put together already, and they make you sweat more carrying one in. They're not that heavy, but when you have to carry one of those suckers for 1/2 mile to a mile to your setup, you can get pretty stinky.

I've had great luck using mine along field edges the last couple of years. Last year, I had an unbelievable couple of days (11/6-8) of buck activity using the decoy and ended up shooting a 150" 9 right before he was going to crush the decoy on the morning of the 11/8. Watched him drop within sight. Awesome weekend with the decoy. I'm hooked for sure.

I use the carry lite a few times per year. I usually carry it in early then hide it in the grass so I don't have to carry it in every time I want to use it. I take one antler off to make it look less intimidating. I only use it in open fields where the deer can see it for from a distance. Mixed results to say the least....some days it causes more alarm and others it brings deer in for a closer look. That being said...I have never killed a deer over one.

Top Bottom