Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer blind orange requirement question

deadeye

It seems every year more and more hunters are using pop up style blinds or a hunting shack style blind. I am not certain about last year, but this year there is a requirement which only appears to be valid for blinds during either shotgun season - not early or late muzzleloader season. The requirement states that is must exhibits a solid blaze orange marking with a minimum of 144 square inches visible in all directions. My question to people then is what is the easiest way you have found to meet this requirement? I am looking for options for both scenarios but would use the pop up style blind more. THANKS

I saw a orange blind cover that just covered he dome of a pop up blind. It was at Bass Pro and fairly cheap. It was in a package so I couldn't clearly see how it attached.

Required for shotgun only according to the regs. Not required for muzzy seasons. Go figure...

On our box blinds I just use orange spray paint & do a foot square on each side. I need to invest a higher quality paint as they sit in the sun all year & the orange isn't so orange after a season or two.

Get some of them 'slow moving vehicle' triangles and put on each side or just buy a few cheap orange vests and pin to the blind when you get there

I thought about pinning vests but that would require four. I was trying to come up with a good solution for the top of the blind using one device that can be seen from four sides. Something that wouldn't bow in the wind much either.

I've seen on a popular hunting website the hunter just hanging a blaze orange vest on a tree next to their blind. Does that meet this requirement? I wouldn't think so but I guess how is that different than if the hunter was just sitting outside next to the blind?

Pretty much every major blind manufacturers makes one of these "caps". Instead of paying, 20 plus shipping, I opted to go the 10 dollar route and bought a Yukon tracks or Yukon trails off ebay 10 bucks free shipping. They are super bright and have about 5"male and female Velcro all directions.

Last edited:
I've seen on a popular hunting website the hunter just hanging a blaze orange vest on a tree next to their blind. Does that meet this requirement? I wouldn't think so but I guess how is that different than if the hunter was just sitting outside next to the blind?
If you are talking about midwest whitetail, that blind was elevated. I called the local co when this rule first came out, and they said that if the blind was elevated it does not need orange on it.

If you are talking about midwest whitetail, that blind was elevated. I called the local co when this rule first came out, and they said that if the blind was elevated it does not need orange on it.

I have also heard from CO's that if elevated...not needed

Fromthe regs: "A​
blind is defined as a place of concealment constructed,
either wholly or partially from man made
materials, which is used for the purpose of hiding a

person who is hunting from sight."

It says naught about elevated. Your local CO may interpret differently, but if you were to get ticketed, I would hate to have to try to defend not having orange on an elevated blind...

I just drape my orange jacket over the top of my pop up blind. It is visible from all sides and is well over the required amount had our co say that it was ok.

I have seen an orange bucket uses as well. i just bought one of the cheap cloth blind caps (form Menards i think). It has velcrow and works well even though it was not for my model of pop up. I have also thrown my vest on top. Cap is easiest though. I left it there for the seasonand did nto have to worry about remembering to put my vest up there or the wind blowing my vest off. I use it in muzzy season too. The deer don't care and i don't care what the regs say...I dont want to get shot by a muzzy any more than by a shotgun.

I bought a "yard" of blaze orange fabric at walmart or local fabric store. $3. Cut into 12"x12" pieces. Safety pin to side of shack or drape it over the branches/brush you have around your blind.

Top Bottom